Light-O-Rama Forums

Need Help please read!!!!!

webbie

Hello everyone I have a major problem. I ordered c6 and c9 Led Commercial full wave christmas light during the sale from Ledholidaylighting.com . The problem that im having is when i use a 30 foot extension cord or more the led bulbs will not faid. They blink twice and then shut off. If i plug the light bulbs in with a 10 foot cord I have 1 blink and the light faids. If i dont use any extension cord , the bulbs blink once very fast and then faid. This is the first year using this companys leds. Last year i used 100 foot cords with philips leds and had no issues at all.

Please help!!!!!! Here is a link to the bulbs i bought

http://www.ledholidaylighting.com/c9commercial-1.aspx

http://www.ledholidaylighting.com/c6-LED-standard.aspx

Im thinking the problem is this... ( this is what there website says)

The change is they have rectified the strand itself insted of the rectification in the "adapter" So gone is the adapter and what it is replaced with is a connector plug. All the same accessories (tri/8 way/wire connectors) still work on these strands. The only modification is where the strand is rectified.

What do you guys think? I have a email into the company also.

Thanks =)

Jeff

What controller are you using?

Are you using the power adapter?

I think you might have better results powering them directly from a DC board.

Jim S wrote:

What happens when you plug some incandescent (non-led) lights into the same extension cord with the LEDs?

They will both work just fine. You will see a difference between mini's and LED's and that is just the characteristics how they function.

To answer some questions.

I am using the 16 channel CTB16PC kit.

The problem is when i plug into an extension cord. Other leds work just fine and normal mini lights work just fine with the extension cords. The c9 lights have a adapter that allows you to plug them into an extension cord. If I plug this directly into the controler the fadeing works with minor glitches. As soon as I use a 20, 30, 50, or 100 foot cord I am unable to make the lights faid. They blink blink twice and shut off. Shimmering is fine, twinkle is fine, only problem is fadeing.

I am having the same issues with the c6 lights also. Same issues as above.

ANy more Ideas,?

Jeff

Did you plug the normal mini lights into the same extension cord WITH the c9's? If this worked, you could use the mini's or a 100k ohm resistor. I've had a similar problem when using 100' three-wire extension cords.....but not with two-wire extension cords.....

Well I will say this. I also have the PC boards, however not the kits. I have the c6's which I received from Travis and they work fine with my controller, no matter what extension cords I use. I even went so far as to try the lights with a 100ft extension cord. Everything worked fine. Again, this is with the c6 lights. I also got the c7 lights from Travis, however I did not receive the adapters yet. I will test that once I get them.

webbie wrote:

What are you refering to by saying you could use the mini's?

Are you refering to the end plug?

I think he is saying to leave your LEDs plugged in but also add a 50ct or 100ct of incandescent mini lights as a test. If your LEDs work correctly when the incandescent lights are also attached, then you either have to leave them attached, or add a resistor.

Hope that helps.

Ok I have figured it out with the lights. If i do what you guys have said to do by adding in 50ct or 100ct of incandescent mini lights the led lights perfectly on a 100 foot cord. Now my question to you guys is , I dont really want to leave these lights hooked up in line. SO How do i go about adding the resistor? Which size should i use? And where should I install it.

You guys have been a very big help so far, please continue =)

Jeff

You will need a terminator at the end of the string. Now this is how the Crazy Light Lady did hers, however this could be a problem with the C9's, because the do not have male and female ends. Basically you just need to size the resistor to the watts pulled by the string, and you will be set.

Here is her how-to.

http://crazylightlady.us/TerminatorsHow-To.html

This is what I did last year to help my LEDs to dim. I had like 18 strings together. After a certain point they would not dim correctly. I made up this setup, and just had I up on the room out of site. Plugged in line between the female end of the 100' extension cord and the first string in the series of the LEDs.

Attached files 156451=9061-100_2174_1.JPG

Keep The Ideas comming, This is great, really quick question though, we have 3 radio shacks here in town and none of them have 100k or 39 k resistors. The highest 1 watt resistor is 1k ohm resistor. DO you think this will work ? Or is it to little ?

Thanks

Jeff =)

Good morning, I had been out of town, but following the conversation on my blackberry.

I have not been able to recreate Jeff's problem, but I am working with him to get his exact configuration, sequence file etc. and will help him get this figured out. Once we have figured it out I will be sure to post again with our findings.

Thanks for everyone who replied to him over the holiday weekend!

Travis Fremming
http://www.ledholidaylighting.com

webbie wrote:

Keep The Ideas comming, This is great, really quick question though, we have 3 radio shacks here in town and none of them have 100k or 39 k resistors. The highest 1 watt resistor is 1k ohm resistor. DO you think this will work ? Or is it to little ?

Thanks

Jeff =)

Hi,

I resonded to your email but I want to make sure that folks kow that 1k will not work. It will POP:shock:

I will contact Travis and get a string of each of those lights. I have tested Travis's LEDs and not experienced this problem. I have seen such things with VERY long cords (200-300)feet or 100s of feet of led strings together and a small reistor such as a 30K 1 watt did make a difference. Also the C9 Terminator shown is a good solution.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been able to reproduce the problem nor has several people that I have talked to that have the same product. Tried in vain to make it do what you are seeing, but have not been able to reproduce the issue.

Travis Fremming