Light-O-Rama Forums

Ugh...underestimated the amount of SPT-1 I bought/needed

Jaynee

So back in the summer sale I thought I bought 1000 ft of SPT-1 to make extension cords.  Turns out, I only bought 500 ft.  But that's not the worst of it.  My husband and I realized last night that we need an additional 2,000 FEET OF SPT-1!  How on EARTH could I miscalculate so badly?  Even if I had gotten the 1000 ft in August, I'd still need another 1500 feet of line.

Fortunately, we were able to go live with our show despite being short - but instead of dancing arches they are all connected into one set of non-blinking arches.  And my spiral tree is running 16 channels right now, not 24.  So the display still looks FINE, but it's not at 100%.  

So aggravated with myself.

That's one piece of advise I always give to newbies.  Figure out how many extension cords you need and then triple it.  Then be ready to buy more.

• Like 2

To be fair and forgiving to myself - I wasn't originally going to include the arches this year.  But even excluding I was short 500 feet for the spiral tree (I'd have been fine if I had originally bought the 1000 ft of line like I thought I did in August).

Either way, order has been placed here on LOR and I HOPE HOPE HOPE it arrives by Thursday.  If yes, I'll make the cords on Thursday night and plug everything in Friday morning on my day off.

Guilty as well.  Made my first SPT-1 cords this year (WHY did it take me SO LONG to do this!?!?!  They are AWESOME!) and underestimated as well, hence about 1/3 of the show is not yet wired.  :)  Order shipped today from LOR!  I’m out of town for work this week, so I can’t work on it until it arrives anyway.  :)

Same here.....thought I bought enough wire and plugs for all the ext cords I planned on making, but then ended up making more cords than originally planned.  Had to place another order for wire & plugs.  In the end it turns out that I should have doubled up on everything that I originally bought.  Rookie mistake.....lesson learned....in the future I'll order 2 or 3 times more than what I think I'll need.

• The topic was locked