Light-O-Rama Forums

Board of Chuckee

BobinFL

Dr. Jones wrote:

That looks erily similar to Parrallax's servo control board

And they use the VSA software for it too. Wondering if LOR's servo board will be compatible with VSA? Hint, Hint.

Edit to ad: The Parrallax board is only $40

Bob,

It's difficult to say if VSA is easier or better than LOR for animatronics, especially since no information has been released yet about the new LOR servo boards. I have been looking into animatronics for about a year now and almost everyone recommends the VSA software. If you have not done so yet, you can read about its features here http://www.brookshiresoftware.com/vsa_howitworks.htm

• 3 months later...

I have the skulltronix dmx tlking skull, and let me tell you, the programming is VERY tedious. I would say a lot more than Christmas Lights. The movements have to be exact and there is nothing in VSA that will help you with it at all. Although, that was probably one of the best Halloween investments I have ever purchased!

I use the brookshire VSA for Halloween and it is similar to S2 in the sense of how you program things with timings and cells, etc. I would love if LOR released a servo board that could be used with S2. It would make syncing lights and animatronics a whole lot easier since everything could be done with one program and the timings would be more precise.

SWEEEET!!! That is exactly what I am needing.

Mine I use for Halloween props and that are programed by VSA and recorded into the audio board and trigger via a PIR sensor. They are just for props in my yard haunt. I would like to add something though I could program into my Halloween show though via S2, so this should work great.

Do you program it in S2 as each servo is 1 channel? So has you change the value for the channel you get the movement?

Exactly....I built a simple Lindberg skull for jaw motion w/ one servo and did some experimenting with jaw motion. Took a routine from WOW lights for This is Halloween it was a hoot. I laughed like crazy. Like you I want to use a PIR to trigger some skull action for next Halloween.

Bob

If you want to use some PIR to trigger your props, look into the PicoBoo and the BooBox. I have some props that work off of servos, and other that are pneumatic like my Trash Can Trauma. For something like that though there are cheaper control boards to use for PIR triggering. If you plan to do mix like I have with one of my coffins where a guy pops up and turns his head. Then mostly like you will want the PicoBoo or BooBox. They also allow you to connect audio to them.

• The topic was locked