Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Supply Concerns

Moirchristmaslights

Hello,

I have concerns with having enough power.

I would like to measure how many amps is going thru a 50 pixel string. 

Can a use a kill o watt meter plugged into the end of the string?

Also, I have two strings of 50 pixels rated at 3 amps a piece. If I connect them together it would draw 6 amps, but the fuse on the pixie16 is rated at 4 amps.

Thanks

The best way to measure for DC is using a Multimeter.  Usually when connecting more than 100 pixels in a single strand you are going to need to use power injection.  This will also help with not blowing the fuse on the controller.  Here is an article that helped me when I first started dealing with Power Injection.

https://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Power_Injection

30 minutes ago, Moirchristmaslights said:

Hello,

I have concerns with having enough power.

I would like to measure how many amps is going thru a 50 pixel string. 

Can a use a kill o watt meter plugged into the end of the string?

Also, I have two strings of 50 pixels rated at 3 amps a piece. If I connect them together it would draw 6 amps, but the fuse on the pixie16 is rated at 4 amps.

Thanks

The Killowat is for AC (standard wall plug) devices only.

Power is always measured on the Input end. Your 2 strings draw 6A when all white. LOR is a bit vague on whether the port will support a bigger (6-7A) fuse. (the fuse protects the board traces as well as the wire)

What is clear, is the 32A per BUS limit (all 8 ports together). So How often and how long do you have a White condition on those strings?  Power injection is the known 'safe' way, but a slightly bigger fuse might be OK for 1 or 2 ports on a Pixie

• The topic was locked