Light-O-Rama Forums

mixing pixie16 and ctb16pc

fullyloaded318

i can get both my pixie 16 and ctb16pc to work seperately but when i try to run them both together i cant get them to work..... is it possible to run them together i have my pixie as my 1id and my ctb16pc as 2

1 hour ago, fullyloaded318 said:

i can get both my pixie 16 and ctb16pc to work seperately but when i try to run them both together i cant get them to work..... is it possible to run them together i have my pixie as my 1id and my ctb16pc as 2

Yes, but not quite the way you said it.  The Pixie 16 will use 16 Unit IDs, so if you assign it ID 01, it will use IDs 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, & 20.  Therefore, you would to use ID 21 (or higher) for the CTB16.  Also note that unless the CTB16 is a Gen3 controller, it can not operate on a 500K speed network, nor an enhanced network.  The Pixie 16 does not REQUIRE a 500K Enhanced network, but you could easily end up with network congestion on busy show segments if you don't.  If the CTB16 is Gen 1 or Gen 2, you would be better off running two networks - one 500K Enhanced network for the Pixie and a 115K non-enhanced network for the CTB16.

Ok that actually makes sense to me kinda...  So running two networks I basically wouldn't run them through the same comms I would hook up to a different USB and Ethernet?

Edited by fullyloaded318

2 minutes ago, fullyloaded318 said:

Ok that actually makes sense to me kinda...  So running two networks I basically wouldn't run them through the same comms I would hook up to a different USB and Ethernet?

No ethernet, usb only. If you want to run two LOR networks then you would need two usb adapters and use two usb ports. NEVER connect LOR controllers directly to ethernet (except the Pixcon) or you could burn something up.

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

No ethernet, usb only. If you want to run two LOR networks then you would need two usb adapters and use two usb ports. NEVER connect LOR controllers directly to ethernet (except the Pixcon) or you could burn something up.

Yah ok sorry that's what I ment use 2 USB ports that hook up to the adapters that hook up to the controllers... Ight about to try that in a sec...  Thank you

2 minutes ago, fullyloaded318 said:

Running two LOR networks results in using two RS-485 adapters and two networks of Cat-5 cable.  This is a somewhat outdated drawing of my LOR network:

LOR_Network_2016-07-19.jpg

I know this is a little hard to read via the forum, so you can click this link to see a pdf of it:  http://newburghlights.org/images/LOR_Network_2016-04-19.pdf

This is how that looks in Network configuration:

S5_Network_Prefs-3_LOR_networks.png

Mr. P just posted a reminder that this is NOT Ethernet.  Yes, we use the same cable type (Cat-5 or Cat-6) as Ethernet, but get out of the habit of referring to that as an Ethernet cable - It's NOT.  Plugging a LOR network device into an Ethernet device CAN with the right (or is it wrong) conditions, let the magic smoke out.  To make it worse, if you get into E1.31, that DOES operate over Ethernet.  So confusing the two is easier.  I help keep it apart by using different color cable - LOR network is Purple and E1.31 is Green.

ok so i have both my controllers hooked up got my pixie 15 on comm3 500k enhanced on unit 1-9 and i have my ctb16pcg3 on comm 6 unit id 21 at 115k normal.... my pixels are working but my normal lights are not.... my computer is reading the controller but i guess its not getting my signal

got it ... i forgot to change my prop to aux a ..... thank you so much for the help.... time to get to hooking it all up haha im so behind schedule