Light-O-Rama Forums

change order of songs

Multicolor

Can someone explain to me how to change of order of songs on my SD card? I have 15 songs and sequences and I want to change the play order.

4 hours ago, Multicolor said:

Can someone explain to me how to change of order of songs on my SD card? I have 15 songs and sequences and I want to change the play order.

Open your show editor on your pc. Arrange the songs in the new order that you want them in.

Save this file as lets say show 2. Put your SD card in your pc. Erase what is on it. Copy the show 2 file to it. Finished. New song order is on the card.

If I messed something up I am sure someone will correct me.

SD cards are written in the HU (preferred) or the SSB.

You can't change the order once they are on the sd card, you must put them in the order you want before you write them to the card.

Once written to the card it's final. You can't pull them off, you can't change the order or schedule without creating a new show.

As Mr. says you can't just rewrite them and the Show Editor is for PC ran shows, not SD Cards used in Director or Showtime units.

To arrange the songs in the order you wish them to be there is ONLY ONE WAY that I know that works reliably 100%{if using the HWU to program your show, I never used the SSB}, rename each sequence with a number as the prefix.   Like this:

Old Sequences Names{in alphabetical order}:

Amazing Grace.lms, MusicBox Dancer.lms, Santa Claus is Coming to Town.lms, Siberian Sleigh Ride, Wizards in Winter {You'll need to rename ALL 3 files, ,lcs and the .lsv file {if present/used}

Now to change this line up, rename the sequences like this for SD Cards:{Note the prefix of 3 numbers preceding the sequence name.}

001-Santa Claus is Coming to Town.lms, 002-Wizards in Winter.lms, 003-Amazing Grace.lms, 004-MusicBox Dancer.lms, 005-Siberian Sleigh Ride.lms {again, make sure ALL 3 files, .lms, .lsc and .lsv all get renamed!, if present/used.}

So if you have 15 songs, you just keep going, I use 3 digit numbering as it keeps everything neat and in order, so Song 10, would be 010, 011, 012...015...020...025...030.......099, 100.   I used off music hours in my display, so I had sequences numbered from 0001-1200{using 4 digit numbers}.  But Show time I usually didn't have more than 30-40 songs, if that, so 3 numbers were always sufficient.

This is how I always arranged my shows on an SD Card when I was using a Director and it works flawlessly!  Never had a glitch using this method in the 4 years I used a Director unit.

Hope this helps you get your show in the order you wish it to be,

Edited by Orville

Joe and Mr. P are correct.

There is not need to rename the sequences in order for them to play in the order you assign them in the HWU. Unless you just want to do it for some reason, but the number has no bearing the order the songs will play.

I used that method I described functionally 100% for FOUR YEARS, I could never get the songs to run in anything but alphabetical order on my director SD Cards, so I started using that method, it DOES work and I never, not once had issues with songs being out of the order I wanted them in.

And I know what works for one might not work for others, it was just MY suggestion to the OP, what they do with the info is entirely up to them.

Then you have very bad luck with computers, or simply don't know what you are doing. I've never had the songs play out of the order that I placed them into the HWU Showlist play window. Never. I've never had to rename sequences with numbers in front of them to get them to play in the order I want.

Your suggestion was based on incorrect data, thus the need for others to correct the record so that people reading this thread in the future will know.

19 hours ago, Don said:

Then you have very bad luck with computers, or simply don't know what you are doing. I've never had the songs play out of the order that I placed them into the HWU Showlist play window. Never. I've never had to rename sequences with numbers in front of them to get them to play in the order I want.

Your suggestion was based on incorrect data, thus the need for others to correct the record so that people reading this thread in the future will know.

I doubt that it's based on totally incorrect info.  I wrote numerous shows, I put the songs in WITHOUT the numbers and every time I wrote it to the SD Card it always played in Alphabetical order.  Should it have?  Perhaps not, but it did.  

As for bad luck with computers, hardly. 

Anyway that's when and WHY I came up with using MY numbering system to get the songs to play in the order I wanted.  The info is based on MY experience with a Director and SD Cards.  

Using the computer to run my show now and I've NEVER had to use that method. 

But for some odd reason I had to resort to that when writing SD Cards for shows on a Director.   I never reported it as a bug in the software, maybe I had a corrupt HWU at the time?   I just can't say, since this was years ago when I used this method and an earlier version of the software. 

And it's something I wrote down in my LOR Notebook where I keep printouts of what worked or didn't work, I even have prints from years back when I started in all this from the LOR Forums, just so I had a reference if I ever encountered an issue that someone covered that might affect the way I did something.  But this IS a NEVER ENDING, ALWAYS CHANGING and ALWAYS LEARNING PROCESS!  That's just part of this hobby and will always be.

I've learned many new things and even a LOT from you too Don, as well as others here.  So I'm not trying to be argumentative about a method that worked for ME, and was doing nothing more than trying to help, just in case the OP "could be" having this same issue I had, for whatever reason.

I still have SD Cards, and may try this again to see if I can write a show, won't be able to actually play it, but I CAN play the MP3s it creates on the card to see if they are in the order I put the sequences in via the HWU in the current version I'm using. 

I just know I DID have issues with them NOT being placed on the SD Card in the order I put them in, as I screen captured it and printed the list, when show ran, they weren't in the order of the screen print I entered, but right back in alphabetical order.  And I have no idea why it did it, but it did and every time too.

Edited by Orville

4 minutes ago, Don said:

Let me remove the doubt. It was.

Perhaps to you and maybe others.  I just know at the time it was as I stated the ONLY ONE WAY I KNEW to make it work.  As the method you stated to me would be incorrect because it would not work at the time FOR ME.  I tried numerous times with NO success. :(

Edited by Orville

Just now, Orville said:

Perhaps to you and maybe others.  I just know at the time it was as I stated the ONLY ONE WAY I KNEW to make it work.  As the method you stated to me would be incorrect because it would not work at the time FOR ME.  I tried numerous times with NO success. :(

Again, you were wrong.

Period. You can argue all you want that *you* had to do it someway, but that's because you were doing something wrong.

I've lost count of the 'demanding' (if you will) clients who want songs in a certain order that use the director. Over 12+ years of this, various software versions, various directors, never have I had that problem. Ever. Not once have I written a show and gotten a complaint that it's in the wrong order. Quite a few are local to me, and some even know where I live. Not once have I had a problem.

I don't care what *you* had to do. I want to make sure *everyone else* knows they don't have to resort to the time consuming and time wasting tactics you had to do because of something you did wrong.