Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB lights not playing

jeff sleek

We are new to using RGB lights in our display.  Just need clarification to make sure I am doing everything correctly.  Using S5 with computer, we have standard lights and adding 2 pixie 8 trees and a Pixcon 16.  Pixcon 16 is plugged directly into the computer through ethernet.  Pixie 8s are Aux A nextwork Enhanced 500K speed.  Question:  LOR is supposed to automatically route Aux network into show, correct?

1.  Create sequence.

2. Save sequence (creates .loredit file).

3. Create playback (this creates .play.lms and play.lms.lcs and play.lms.pe.lid)....I see from forums that all files need to be in same folder and mine are in same folder.

image.png.37b901600904f4df321e6e5dacfa05e2.png

4. Click Show Editor

5. Click Musical 

6. Click plus sign (files show as .lms)

7. Click on files you want to add to musical section and arrange in order you want them to play.

8. Click Save As and name show (files saved as .lss)

9. Click Schedule Editor

10. Click Add

11. Click ...button and choose named show saved in #8 and click open

12. Set start time/end time

13. Click days you want show to play

14. Click Add (schedule will show up on grid)

15. Click Save on Schedule Editor

16. Click Enable Show and it's supposed to work.

What am I missing in my setup because Pixie 8s and Pixcon16 do not work?  

Network Preferences:

image.png.f67e764ab7621f48d130304dd4dc3a4a.png

Is Pixie 8 set up correctly?

image.thumb.png.262b2599a121cca11d82dc4a2f7f4f5d.png

Again, Pixcon16 plugged in directly to computer through ethernet, so that should play automatically, right? (not working right now)

I used to be able to see Com 8 and Com 4 on Device Manager, but lately it's only been Com 8.

Also, if I test pixcon16 through network preferences, it works.  I use hardware utilities to test pixie 8, it finds it on com8 and lights work.  I can't find com 4 on hardware utilities.

image.png

32 minutes ago, jeff sleek said:

we have standard lights and adding 2 pixie 8 trees and a Pixcon 16.

image.png

Jeff, you say you added (2) Pixie8,s this year. I am looking to verify that they have the proper Unit Id's configured. Your pic above shows Pixie8 Tree #1 as having a starting Unit ID of 01, this means Pixie8 Tree #2 should have a starting Unit ID of 09 (or something other than 01 - 08) Is this correct?

btw, thanks for including all the info you did, it makes troubleshooting much easier.

Alan...

yes, pixie #2 starts at 09-10...

question:  I plugged in pixie 8s only and device manager shows com 6 now, so I changed it in network preferences to match com 6. now when i create playback it says 2 enhanced networks, saving both play and lid files into correct folder.  I am not a computer genius, so do i need to double check pixie 8s each time before starting show to make sure it is still in same com?

Edited by jeff sleek
clarification

another note, for this year we have both pixie 8s doing the same thing, so it's pigtailed from pixie #1 to pixie #2 (even though unit numbers show 1-8 and 9-10)

Just now, jeff sleek said:

another note, for this year we have both pixie 8s doing the same thing, so it's pigtailed from pixie #1 to pixie #2 (even though unit numbers show 1-8 and 9-10)

AH! Bingo

Pixie 2 is 9,A,B,C,D,E,F   Hex error

Correction:  in sequencer, I have pixie #1 and pixie #2 doing the same thing and then I have pig tail going from pixie #1 to pixie #2.

26 minutes ago, jeff sleek said:

Correction:  in sequencer, I have pixie #1 and pixie #2 doing the same thing and then I have pig tail going from pixie #1 to pixie #2.

Jeff, this sounds like the ID on Pixie #2 reverted to 1 .   Be sure you only have the 1 controller (while being configured) connected.

💡 Get a (couple of)  RJ45 coupler for your toolkit to temporary bypass earlier controllers rather than stringing a long cable or hauling the controller inside.

Edited by TheDucks

35 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

AH! Bingo

lol damn, i sat up in my chair thinking ah ha also 😁

Thanks guys!  Will try this and post our results.  Right now I only have the pixie 8's and pixcon 16 hooked up to computer to test those alone.  Waiting for my husband, Jeff, to set up more controller boxes so we can do a test run tonight or tomorrow night.  Will update after that test.  

Jessi Sleek

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

AH! Bingo

Nope.  He had it right.  09, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10.  So 09 - 10 is correct (as long as you remember you are counting in Hex)....

Edited by k6ccc
Corrected fat finger...

This is what I am not understanding.

3 hours ago, jeff sleek said:

question:  I plugged in pixie 8s only and device manager shows com 6 now, so I changed it in network preferences to match com 6.

The USB RS485 (both types) should retain thier comm ports, they should not change everytime you plug them in. Unless it has something to do with the second Pixie8 plug into the first. I'd suggest just plugging in just one Pixie8 (the one for Tree#1) and testing that one, then move on to plugging in the second Pixie8.

Alan...

Update:  Yes, I am using hex on pixie #2.  We got pixie #1, pixie #2, and pixcon 16 tree working.  For some reason comm ports were different, so I have them correct with device manager, network preferences & hardware utility.

We tested lights and have another issue!!!  We updated from S4 to S5.  When testing standard lights, Unit 1 & 2 work correctly with all lights.  When I play show,  Unit 1 & 2 do not work.  When we upgraded to S5, program set up our lights as below (unit & channels are correct).  

I am trying to attach pic of settings for icicles that will not light.

I can't upload pictures but I think we figured out that the units we are using are older models and we have to use newer units, which luckily we have.  

So we are trying to change unit 1 & 2 to newer models to test everything tomorrow and hopefully it all works. Will update later.

8 minutes ago, jeff sleek said:

I can't upload picture

The forum allows a fairly small amount of upload space per user.  The normal way to post photos is to upload the photos to a website and post the link..  The website can be some web space that your ISP provides with your account, a public file sharing or storage site (DropBox, Google Drive, etc), any webserver that you have access to.  For example, the photo below came to you from my own web server.

N520PD.jpg

BTW, 15 minutes after I took this photo, I was in the back seat flying over the Hollywood sign.

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

BTW, 15 minutes after I took this photo, I was in the back seat flying over the Hollywood sign.

by choice? or... with silver bracelets on?   😋

Alan...

My choice.  I had just loaded some encryption keys and had to go on a test flight to check out my work.  So went on a regular patrol flight.  Went over the Hollywood sign to check out a report of a drone flying in the departure path from Burbank airport.  Did not see the drone.