Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini Director question - connection

Star Lord

Hello,

Back in April, I purchased the ShowTime Central Starter Package(http://store.lightorama.com/shcestpa.html)

My first show was the 4th of July.  During that time, I ran a cat5e cable from my CTB16PC to the "miniDirector and FM Transmitter".  For my Christmas show, it's difficult to run a cat5e to the miniDirector and I found that it's really not needed as the signal is transmitted as expected on my desired FM frequency.

My question is: what is the purpose of running a cat5e to the miniDirector?

Thanks,

James

Well, if you are going to be running the show from the Mini-Director then there needs to be a connection between the mini-director and the controllers. Otherwise you will have no power to the director, nor any show running.

Hi Don,

My computer that I run the show from is right at the front of my house and I connect the Mini-Director directly into the the audio output jack of my computer.  So since I have the output of my show directly feeding into the Mini-Director, that's probably why I don't need the cat5e, right?

James

All sorts of alarm bells going off in my head right now.

If you are not using the director to run your show, then you would have a network cable going from the USB485 to Controller 01 to run the show. Audio would go from your computer to the FM Transmitter.

If you are running from a computer, then you don't need to touch the mini-director. Nothing will be hooked up to it, and it will do nothing but simply exist in the enclosure.

You're right Don, I'm running the network cable from the USB485 to Controller 01 to run the show and not really using the Mini-Director at all.  Thanks for the clarification and answering my question!