Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel Delay

martsycart

I bought a neon light I'd love to use, but there is a 1 second delay from the time it get's power to the time it lights up. Is it possible to create a 1 second delay for a specific channel? Or do I just need to program the delay into my sequence?

7 minutes ago, martsycart said:

Ugh, so much extra work. Ok, thanks!

I haven't done very much sequencing yet, but can't you just copy the entire row of that channel (maybe omitting the first second of it), and then just paste it back into the same row, but 1 second earlier than before?

I have the same problem with an LED rope light.  Since almost all of my sequences are purchased and are the non-modifiable versions, I'm gonna have to deal with the problem by replacing the rope light with something else that doesn't have that on/off delay.

2 minutes ago, Speedster said:

can't you just copy the entire row of that channel (maybe omitting the first second of it), and then just paste it back into the same row, but 1 second earlier than before?

I thought about that, but I have to take into account the extra time to leave it on until the rest of the lights turn off. It'd be so nice to just add a delay so a single channel can come on 1 second before all the rest. I'll probably just replace the light with something else that doesn't have a delay, since we're so close to kick off time. 

3 minutes ago, martsycart said:

I'll probably just replace the light with something else that doesn't have a delay, since we're so close to kick off time. 

That's what I'd do too, otherwise you'll always have to handle the sequencing of that channel differently from all the other channels. 

My problem is that this "rebellious" rope light fits absolutely perfectly around the frame of our front door and looks really nice, so that makes me a bit reluctant to replace it.  I could try a brand different rope light, but I'm afraid I'd have the same delay problem.  So I may end up installing hooks in the mortar around the door and wrapping a regular string of lights around it.  That will probably have to wait until next year though since kick off time is tomorrow (Thanksgiving night) and I need to do some other minor tweaking to get ready.

Here is the rope light I use. It's super bright and has no timing issues. Sections that had extra length I just taped over with electrical tape.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, martsycart said:

Here is the rope light I use. It's super bright and has no timing issues. Sections that had extra length I just taped over with electrical tape.

Thanks!  I'll have to look for that one.  The delay in my rope light isn't too noticeable most of the time, but when watching my videos of our lights I notice it here and there, and it annoys me lol. 

You can see the right side of the rope light in the middle of our house in this test video that I recorded a few nights ago:  https://youtu.be/lEnYzG1MJpE

That on/off delay is so irritating!  Even though this is my 2nd year using LOR I haven't really gotten into sequencing yet (which is ironic, since I'm a computer programmer lol), but it would definitely be annoying to have to remember to program that channel differently from the rest if I was doing my own sequencing.

12 minutes ago, Speedster said:

in this test video

That’s so funny! I was literally watching this video last night, I’m currently creating a sequence for the same song. Small world!!

1 hour ago, Speedster said:

but can't you just copy the entire row of that channel (maybe omitting the first second of it), and then just paste it back into the same row, but 1 second earlier than before?

Yes, but as someone noted, you would then have to add the second back in at the end.

6 minutes ago, martsycart said:

That’s so funny! I was literally watching this video last night, I’m currently creating a sequence for the same song. Small world!!

Wizards in Winter is probably my favorite TSO song.  I decided too late last year to make the decision to switch from a different lighting system to LOR, so I knew I wouldn't have time to learn how to sequence (work, family, life, always seem to get in the way lol).  That's why I bought the TSO ShowTime Central kit that came with sequences for all the TSO songs.  My setup is 48 channels with many props sharing channels via triple-tap adapters.  So the thought of sequencing 48 channels for all the songs I wanted to use last year was just too intimidating.

Somewhere in our basement I actually have some rope light that I never used from 3 yrs ago.  I should check them out to see if they have a delay.

8 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, but as someone noted, you would then have to add the second back in at the end.

Definitely makes it seem like it's easier and more efficient to simply replace the delayed lights with lights that behave like all the rest.

2 hours ago, Speedster said:

That's what I'd do too, otherwise you'll always have to handle the sequencing of that channel differently from all the other channels. 

My problem is that this "rebellious" rope light fits absolutely perfectly around the frame of our front door and looks really nice, so that makes me a bit reluctant to replace it.  I could try a brand different rope light, but I'm afraid I'd have the same delay problem.  So I may end up installing hooks in the mortar around the door and wrapping a regular string of lights around it.  That will probably have to wait until next year though since kick off time is tomorrow (Thanksgiving night) and I need to do some other minor tweaking to get ready.

Is it the Rope? Or is it the power module (start up time)?  Note: I don't do rope lights, so I am unfamiliar with their behavior.

What is the voltage? Maybe a Relay between the power module and the rope, or if 12V, drive it from a CMB24

12 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Is it the Rope? Or is it the power module (start up time)?  Note: I don't do rope lights, so I am unfamiliar with their behavior.

What is the voltage? Maybe a Relay between the power module and the rope, or if 12V, drive it from a CMB24

According to the label on the plug the input is 120V and output voltage is 28V.  I'd rather not buy or do anything special just to try to make it work so if I have time I'm just going to replace it with something that works.  I have so many unopened boxes of lights and props so I'm willing to swap out the rope light for one of them at this point.

18 minutes ago, Speedster said:

According to the label on the plug the input is 120V and output voltage is 28V.  I'd rather not buy or do anything special just to try to make it work so if I have time I'm just going to replace it with something that works.  I have so many unopened boxes of lights and props so I'm willing to swap out the rope light for one of them at this point.

Depending on how many strands, you could dedicate 1 BANK on a CMB24 (12 outputs) and power it from a 24-28V supply. A side benefit: Opens up a bunch of LOR effects that would damage that power adapter.

Actually, i was considering cascading  a 12V supply for my 1 24V Flag prop.  Would a LOR engineer care to comment?

12V + term on a CMB24 port => -12V Term on a power brick PSU => T String + . The String - would return to the CMB24 channel . None of the voltages would exceed 30, but I am worried that there might be some sort of clamping thatcircuit where the channel should not be higher than the main supply rail.