Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding new controller

tvweather62

Hi there.

I am brand new at this, so I apologize if my question is obvious.  I have a Showtime Central Unit, and purchased an additional controller this year.

I read on the site, you are supposed to use a "special data" cable when connecting the first controller to the 2nd, one that will only pass data and not power.

Is this the green cable that was sent with the controller?  If not, how do I get one?  Will it fry the board if I just use a regular Cat 5 cable?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by tvweather62

1 hour ago, tvweather62 said:

Hi there.

I am brand new at this, so I apologize if my question is obvious.  I have a Showtime Central Unit, and purchased an additional controller this year.

I read on the site, you are supposed to use a "special data" cable when connecting the first controller to the 2nd, one that will only pass data and not power.

Is this the green cable that was sent with the controller?  If not, how do I get one?  Will it fry the board if I just use a regular Cat 5 cable?

Thanks in advance!

You can use ANY good CAT5 cable

If the green cable is a Cat5 Cable, you're good to go, if it's another type, like a USB, then you'll need a second Cat5 cable to go from your original controller to the 2nd unit. 

Now make sure that the 2nd unit you just acquired IS THE ONLY CONTROLLER connected via the USB Adapter via Cat5 to the new controller, LOR Controllers are always set as Unit ID 01 when shipped, your first controller is probably set as Unit 01, this unit will need to be set as Unit 02.  

And you use the Hardware Utility {HU or HWU} to set it up correctly if it's a CTB16PC controller.  Once set, disconnect it, reconnect your initial controller and then connect your new "unit 02" controller via Cat5 {male to male cat5} cable to Unit 01 Controller, then you're ready to add it in to the Sequence Editor {SE} and start sequencing your lights to the new controller.  It WILL NOT be added to the SE automatically, you must enter it manually once you get it set up via the HWU.

If you're not sure how to use the HWU to set the controller from the default to a new Unit ID #, just ask.  I can walk you through that too, it's really easy.

Edited by Orville