Light-O-Rama Forums

can you split the cat 5 plug

ferrantejon

i have 7 16 channel controllers and would like to split the plug on one of my controllers to save on wire around the yard.  i was told to use a cat 5 network switch.  I purchased the switch from amazon for $10 and tried it. my  G3-MP3 Director shuts down any time i try to plug the switch in does anyone know how to do this.

24 minutes ago, ferrantejon said:

i have 7 16 channel controllers and would like to split the plug on one of my controllers to save on wire around the yard.  i was told to use a cat 5 network switch.  I purchased the switch from amazon for $10 and tried it. my  G3-MP3 Director shuts down any time i try to plug the switch in does anyone know how to do this.

LOR does not use 802.3 networking. That is NOT Ethernet. It is RS485 (serial)., a more advanced form of RS232.  That network switch is pretty much usless as far as LOR controllers go.

CAT5 is a Cabling system, just like  the common RJ11/14 that phones use. Lots of uses, with totatly incompatible signals AND VOLTAGES. Beware the magic smoke escaping

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ferrantejon said:

A miniDirector, (16) PC controllers - and counting (3) floods is (20) cat5 cables - just routed as best I could. And stake down and triple tie-wrap to controller's yard stakes - no tripping to pull out the connectors from the boards.

49 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

That network switch is pretty much usless as far as LOR controllers go.

so there is no way to split the signal they have to be all chained together in series?

Yes, daisy chained, however, they can be in any order. They don't have to be sequential.

1,16, 2, 4  9....................

You can buy another rs485 to have another starting point.     If you have one which is far away you can make that the last one.  Or just get additional cat5, it is not expensive.  

• The topic was locked