Light-O-Rama Forums

lor files and backups

Ralph D

After having a couple of years of being forced to change pc's and having hard drives die I'm starting to notice and finding sequences all over the place on my pc. I am now trying to organize my self. could anyone share advice on what i need to do to search the whole pc for old lor files new ones and any others lor files i need to know of. I have already moved the lor save folder on my pc so its easy to find and now just want to find all of them.

Thanks!

Guest wbottomley

Ralph D wrote:

After having a couple of years of being forced to change pc's and having hard drives die I'm starting to notice and finding sequences all over the place on my pc. I am now trying to organize my self. could anyone share advice on what i need to do to search the whole pc for old lor files new ones and any others lor files i need to know of. I have already moved the lor save folder on my pc so its easy to find and now just want to find all of them.

Thanks!

Click on Start then search.

Be sure you search all drives.

Hi Ralph,

I've endured a similar situation, although it was almost completely of my own making in trying to shuttle sequences and audio between three different pc's. I finally mastered the chaos by creating a LOR folder on my desktop with two directories - audio and sequences. The clutter is easier to manage and I know exactly where to look on any of the pc's for what I need. Not exactly what you asked, but I hope it helps a little...

George

I'll supplement George's implementation, I created subdirectories for each year ...

So it looks something like:
LOR
Audio
Sequences
Audio
Sequences
etc.

I also name all my songs, config files, sequences, etc. with the year and date/time modified in case I need to go back to something earlier

2008 Jingle Bells.wav
2008 Jingle Bells - 2008-08-16 1533.lms
2008 Jingle Bells - 2008-08-18 0932.lms

The sequence I actually use for the show is usually a copy of the latest one I've done with "FINAL" at the end so I don't have to modify the show in the show editor.
Play sequence:
2008 Jingle Bells - FINAL.lms
2008 Christmas Balls - FINAL.lms

Another approach ... it works for me.

Thanks guys, My biggest concern is to find all the files first. then put them into a file as you mentioned which i will do just that. Rick I love the way you tag your files as you go and that will fix all my frustrating moments when trying to remember which files are a work is in progress or is it done or is it my older channel set up and so on. I'm going to start your method right now. thanks all. do any of you know what file names i should be looking for. just want to see if im missing any.

As mountainwxman has already said, use the search feature in windows and search by file extensions. Example search for .lms, .bak, .lss etc. This will show all files that contain what you search for.

As a side note to naming conventions for files. Open your folder then in the tool bar click on view then choose details. Here you can check the boxes for several different file details. One such detail that would save lengthy file names would be to check the last modified box. This will show when the file was last modified when the folder is opened instead of needing to include it in the file name. :)