Light-O-Rama Forums

USB485B Shorted out

bschrad

When I plugged Cables to LOR controllers into USB485B the unit smoked on me. None of the controllers were plugged into 110 and the USB485B was plugged into the computer. Looks like the disk capacitor and one of the chips on the board inside the unit are burnt. Checked network cables going to controllers and could not find any bad cables. Any ideas on what the cause might be?

4 hours ago, bschrad said:

When I plugged Cables to LOR controllers into USB485B the unit smoked on me. None of the controllers were plugged into 110 and the USB485B was plugged into the computer. Looks like the disk capacitor and one of the chips on the board inside the unit are burnt. Checked network cables going to controllers and could not find any bad cables. Any ideas on what the cause might be?

Can you verify if you used a patch (straight thru) cable or a crossover cable? Or maybe there was a short in your cable. Some how power got where it wasn't suppose to get, that is what we mean when you hear people say "let the magic smoke out."

Probably crossed pins in one of the RJ45 jacks or less likely, a bad cable. It's toast, but the rest of the gear hopefully is OK. Remember there is power being carried over the Cat 5. I had an adaptor  smoke out on me one time. It happens.

I had a mounting screw that extended too far into a PSU for a CMB24D that smoked 2 USB adapters before I finally figured it out.  Still have no idea how/why it happened but thankfully the CMB24D was fine.

Have always made my own cables and they are straight through. I have a cable tester and all the cables checkout. All the pins in the RJ45 plugs look fine also. Have been using this same setup for years and currently have 14 CTB16PC LOR controllers in my display. Once I get my new USB converters I have two controllers that I did not test before putting them up this year so am going to test them individually first thinking that one of them might be bad also thinking that the USB converter just went bad after all these years.