Light-O-Rama Forums

One more time, BACKUP!!!

Mr. P

We mention this several times a year, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP. We are so close now, don't take any chances with your show. Backup all files on several sources that are not located on your computer, thumb drive, external HDD, server, NAS, anywhere but your computer. You will hate yourself if you don't.

• Like 2

The best thing that can be said at this time of the year, but great practice all year. Anytime a change has been made in your sequences. BACK... IT... UP...!!!

• Like 1

If you need help, this just might help you.

I have folders under "My Documents" where I place everything that I want to backup. Every so often I backup the folder "My Documents". This way I can backup everything real easy to thumb drives just by backing up the one folder.

I know there are people who don't trust cloud services. (And part of me agrees with some of your logic.) However, all the backups in the world are useless if you can't restore the data. God forbid something happen to your place of residence and your backup media is wiped out, but if that happens, how will you restore? Obviously at that point it's more than Christmas light programming at stake. Please, consider some sort of offsite backup.

Yes! Yes! Yes.

Backup, Backip, and Off-site backup.  Whether you use a cloud based backup solution or a physical disk - or better yet, both.  Do something.  

With so many of us depending on computer based data (photos, financial and tax records, etc), backups become even more important.

Whether its a burglary, fire, flood, tornado, hurricane, earthquake, or other disaster; if your backups are at your home, they can be lost.

Personally, my server (which has RAID-1 arrays + hot standby) gets backed up weekly with an external drive which gets taken into work (26 miles from home), and important stuff also gets uploaded to the cloud.

From what I know about Computers, there are 2 types of people. Those who have had a hard drive crash, and those who are going to.

Alan...

• 5 months later...

I just discovered that my Synology NAS has not been backing up for over two weeks!   Its on a UPS so I dont think it lost power.  Nothing in the software notified me.  I will have to look into it to if there is an alarm for backups not running.  

This is the view from the patio at the family farm in rural west St Louis County MO.   I dont get the connection either.. just watching the backups go through each file like bales of hay.