Light-O-Rama Forums

connecting CCR together

johnsims70

ok,,, had all dumb rgb last year easy to do a house outline.. had runs of 20 ft and 30 ft . Was using ribbon 16 ft strips and would just plug in end and cut end what needed and would inject power if I needed it..

This year using Smart ribbon strips , 150 pix (16.6) ft length ..but now I have runs of 20 ft  SO......can I just attach like the dumb lights ? am I limited to  the 5 meter 2811- 150 pix.  don't want to hang any lights till I have the answer.

I am using a alpha pix 16 controller so the question is ...can I just add the xtra 4 ft on to a 16 ft strip to make the 20 ft. or will it not work. cause the strips are set up for 150.

help!!!

Yes, you can connect pixel strips that are being driven by your AlphaPix controller.  I am also driving WS2811 strings in the following lengths from my SanDevices controllers:

100 pixels - 24 strings of my pixel tree

99 pixels - strip in front of 9 roses

96 pixels - 6 candy canes driven end to end

94 pixels - 1 string on a planter

90 pixels - 3 strings that make up the 270 pixels on my pixel star

88 pixels - strip in front of 8 roses

Thanks so much! big help....now not to be a pain...but working on the Setting up Visuals nothing but conflicting errors.:(  do you set up e31 as a lor network? or undetermined? I am so confused tried for 2 hours now trying to find info but cant find nothing...

1 hour ago, johnsims70 said:

Thanks so much! big help....now not to be a pain...but working on the Setting up Visuals nothing but conflicting errors.:(  do you set up e31 as a lor network? or undetermined? I am so confused tried for 2 hours now trying to find info but cant find nothing...

Are you talking about in Preview Editor or in Network Configuration?

OK, in Preview Editor, you set E1.31 as DMX (because that's what E1.31 is).  Here is a simple prop of mine that uses E1.31.

S5_Prop_Def-3.png

This one is simple as it's only 16 pixels.  This is Candy Cane #6, in a row.  Each candy cane uses 16 pixels or 48 channels - hence the reason that #6 starts at channel 241.

Now here is a more complex prop that uses E1.31.  This is my 24 x 100 pixel tree:

S5_Prop_Def-4.png

The channel arrangements on this one is more complex.  You can see that I am NOT using the simple "One universe per string" method.  This is because the pixel controllers I am using are limited to 12 universes, and have 16 outputs.  I am using two controllers for the tree and pixel star on top.  That totals 27 strings.  If it were not for the star, I could simply put 12 strings on each controller and use one universe per string.  The other complication is that the star is 5 Volts and the tree is 12 Volts.  That means that one controller will have both halves powered by 12 volts, the second controller will one half powered by 12 volts and the other half powered by 5 volts. 

By comparison, here is one of my arches, which ARE running on LOR networking.

S5_Prop_Def-5.png

I am trying to go the easy route....universe 1 - 1-150  universe 2- 1-50 and so on...but will not let me do it just conflits errors... grrrr… I have 2 alphapix 16 and one 4 …. I see I am limited to 340 pixels per universe no big deal I can split if I have to ...but  I cant seem do universe 1 , 2, 3 , 4, 5, and so on without errors....DMX Univ#8 Ch#1 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#2 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#3 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#4 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#5 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#6 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#7 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#8 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#9 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#10 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#11 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#12 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#13 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#14 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#15 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#16 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#80 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#81 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#82 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#83 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#84 is shared with Mid Gutter
DMX Univ#8 Ch#85 is shared with Mid Gutter

and so on... universe 8 is top gutter,,,,and universe 7 is mid gutter...how is it shared...so confused...

Edited by johnsims70

Are you setting this up in the pixel editor is so show a picture of what your doing  you can only have 170 pixels per universe ,   340 pixels per port is that what you mean ?

The error is largely telling you where the error is.  Carefully check your channel assignments.  If you want, E-Mail me your preview and I'll take a look at it for you.  Open the Preview Editor (where it allows you to select which preview to edit).  One of the options is Import / Export.  Export the preview and sent it to me at jim at k6ccc dot org (in normal E-Mail address format).

figured out what I was doing wrong...LOL...learning experience..... for some strange reason I thought the 2811 ribbons were 150 pixels not 50 …. and  I was putting in  to many pixels over 170 which messed everything up... so one ribbon strip at 50 pixels 150 channels works..lol...not 225 pixels....new to the whole smart pixels...but learn so much in this thread  already.... not that I am going to try but...….if 170 is the max of pixels for 1 universe  and the alpix   has 16 ports each one does 340 pixels ..you can do 2 universes per port? 

• The topic was locked