Light-O-Rama Forums

Blinking at 1/2 power

Thebug

I have a controller that when I fade it to 50% lights on other controllers start firing at 50% and it's only on numbers 9 through 16. All this is a ctb16pc gen 3 controller. Do I got a bad something in the board?

Edited by Thebug

Sounds like you have a config issue. Duplicate ID's. Check your channel and unit assignments in SE and your network config for errors.

I did that and it is still doing it. It's really strange that it only happens when i fade those channels that channels on other controllers Flash blink and turn on at a reduced power. It's like it's creating feedback that's turning other channels on when I swap in a different controller it doesn't do that.

Might be worth checking all the internal connections of that box. Make sure nothing is loose or damaged. Disconnected of course.

29 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Might be worth checking all the internal connections of that box. Make sure nothing is loose or damaged. Disconnected of course.

Carefully check the Neutral Feed connections(line cord) for that bank.  Something is fishy when you unbalance the banks

Also make sure you Cat5 cables between controllers ARE NOT ran alongside the electrical wiring.  If you have your cat5 cables tied to electrical cords, this can make your controllers do strange and unexpected things.   Always keep the cat5 cables as far away from powered cords as possible to prevent strange misfires or other strange, unique lighting issues.   This can also cause lag times between controllers too, as well as from the source that runs everything, Director unit or computer.

Edited by Orville

Once upon a time in college I worked for a company doing wiring for data so I learned to always separate my data and power. I will start looking I to the neutral connections thanks for the ideas

10 hours ago, Thebug said:

Once upon a time in college I worked for a company doing wiring for data so I learned to always separate my data and power. I will start looking I to the neutral connections thanks for the ideas

Some folks don't know this about mixing data cabling and power cords, so hence my post about it.  As I did that when I did that when I first started.  I should have remembered that from wiring computer consoles for Military applications and a few other temp positions I held running data and power lines for office systems. 

But somehow that all slipped my mind when I got into this hobby. LOL

p.s. you may want to also check the soldered terminals the neutrals go too.  I had to resolder a few of mine on ready to go controllers, somehow got a few that worked there way loose over a few years time, as I had an issue with banks 9-16 on one of my controllers not working or it would work sporadically.  Just changed the neutral to another good terminal and all worked fine.  Then after the season, I re-soldered the neutral terminals I found had come loose on that side of the board, so far so good, no more issues in  years.

Edited by Orville

• The topic was locked