Light-O-Rama Forums

Channels 9, 10, 11, and 12 do not work

Louis Mayer

Why is 9, 10, 11, and 12 not getting any power when I test them - all the other channels work - I also finished the first controller box and it all worked fine - this is my 2nd of 4 to build -

thanks,

Louis

Double check your solder connections. Re-flow as necessary. I re-flow when I'm done with my boards as added insurrance

Check the resistor network next to the channel 9-12 position. It it marked 471? if it is marked 472 then you have it swapped. The 472 resistor network should be at the R1 designation on the board (Marked 4k7 on the board)

Dennis

That was it - Thanks, but that was a pain in desoldering - I broke off the old ones and had to go get new ones at the electronics store - Now the system only blinks and does not recognize the PC to a solid led light. I might have messed the board up with too much heat.

I guess light o rama will make it right - I did another 2 boards and they all work fine

Thanks,

Louis

Double check everything around R1. It has to do with the communications. Another thing,MOST resistor networks are bussed so you may not have the correct resistors. The parts you replaced are ISOLATED networks. Hopefully you have the correct parts.

For everyone: A bussed network with 8 pins has 7 resistors in it. One side of all 7 of the resistors are connected together and they come to one pin (the end pin with a dot). So if you measure the resistance of the center two pins you will get twice the rated resistance of the network.

An isolated network with 8 pins (as is used in R1 and R18) has 4 resistors. They are independent resistors. So if you measure the center two pins you will get an open circuit because they are not connected. Pins 1-2 are a resistor, pins 3-4 are a resistor, etc...

Although it may take a little longer than running to the parts store, I recommend that everyone just send an email to kits@lightorama.com if they need a replacement part. Even if you break the part it is free and there isn't even a S/H charge.

Dan