Light-O-Rama Forums

issue with controlling RGB stip of lights

dougradSally123+

Since everyone was such a great help, thought i would try again.  My pixcon controller is working.  I am able to control most of my RGB lights but i have a ribbon strip that is not working properly.  I have tried two so probably not the strips but a setting.  They are marked as RGB order which i have set.  They when the controller is plugged in and i connect the set to the controller they light up immediately.  i did notice the first pixel is a different color than the rest.  when i put the controller board in test mode no change.  Also, when i hook the board to the computer and try to control from the network config it does the same.  It is a 16' length with three pixels per foot.  any thoughts, thanks.

Have you tried switching the non-working ribbon with one that works? I can't quite tell from your description. I recently bought a Pixie II for my first baby step into RGB and had a hard time setting it up. One ribbon simply would not respond. I kept plugging it in to  the same port and thought there must be a configuration issue. It would light up solid white and that was it.  I finally swapped the two and now it wouldn't work on port 1 either so the ribbon was bad. Got a replacement under warranty (it shipped and arrived VERY quickly!) and now they BOTH work great.

I have tried two different strips and get the same result.  It could be a setting but other RGB light work fine but just not the strips.  I have tried different ports as well with no good result.  Just didn't know if there might be a different setting for the strips versus the other strands of RGB?  Thanks.

Are you sure you are driving them from the correct end (DI side)?

The other setting is Frequency for some chip types.

not sure DI but the arrow is going away from the connection.  Just got some bullet nodes from same company and they are doing the same thing?  Really confused now. The original rectangle lights work perfect both in test mode on my pixcon and in S5 but both the ribbon on nodes don't?  when plugged in the first pixel is pink and the rest are a solid color both in test mode and when controlled from LOR S5.  Any other thoughts, thanks.

10 minutes ago, dougradSally123+ said:

not sure DI but the arrow is going away from the connection.  Just got some bullet nodes from same company and they are doing the same thing?  Really confused now. The original rectangle lights work perfect both in test mode on my pixcon and in S5 but both the ribbon on nodes don't?  when plugged in the first pixel is pink and the rest are a solid color both in test mode and when controlled from LOR S5.  Any other thoughts, thanks.

Can you read the chip markings (part number).

It must be the wrong one (while the controller supports different chips. (click the Pixie config button in HU)The entire controller must be the same type)

Check the data sheets of both strings (working and non-working) eg. My HC strings are WS2811 (800KHz).

• 2 weeks later...

sorry just saw this.  Guess it would make since to wire the light correctly to the match the board data and all.  whoops