Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24D with Falcon F16v3

Dave76

Can anyone help me with getting this set up?

Im not sure which pin setup I need on each board(they both have it for LOR and DMX).

my setup is this:

i have a gig switch my laptop is plugged to. The F16v3 is plugged into switch and the eth0 port on the board. The F16v3 has three DMX ports, 1,2,3.  Number 1 says it’s for receive.  So I have another hookup to my switch going to number 1 on the board.  DMX number 2 I connected on the F16v3 to the eth0 on the CMB24D.  Is that the correct wiring? 

On thr F16v3 web interface I go under serial outputs, but I’m not sure what/where to set my universe i have configured for my DMX RGB lights?  I’m also unaware if there is any place ekesenon the Software side I have wrong. I don’t believe so. I have this all configured under the “network Configuration”

Any ideas?  These RGB flood lights have been giving my all sorts of issues. I was using the E1.32 bridge prior and it just wasn’t working correctly. 

Thank you VERY much.

Dave

If your using the CMB24D set the jumper pins to the left for LOR     Dmx port 1 does not connect to switch   use port 2 for the CMB24d set the universe to one of the universe you have already setup in the Falcon controller.

Hi Dennis, 

ok so all the receiving is done on the initial eth0 hook up on the F16.  See  I was told to use DMX for pin set up. Isn’t the LOR pin setup if I was going to an actual LOR controller or does that count still for the LOR cmb24D?  

28 minutes ago, Dave76 said:

Hi Dennis, 

ok so all the receiving is done on the initial eth0 hook up on the F16.  See  I was told to use DMX for pin set up. Isn’t the LOR pin setup if I was going to an actual LOR controller or does that count still for the LOR cmb24D?  

LOR and DMX send power and data over diferent wires, all the jumpers do is direct the power and data to the correct wires. This keeps you from having to make a special LOR cat5 cable.

4 hours ago, Dave76 said:

The F16v3 has three DMX ports, 1,2,3.  Number 1 says it’s for receive.  So I have another hookup to my switch going to number 1 on the board.  DMX number 2 I connected on the F16v3 to the eth0 on the CMB24D.  Is that the correct wiring?  

I don't know much about the Falcon boards, but that does not sound right.  First is a concept that you need to understand.  DMX and LOR networks communicate via a serial interface using a standard called RS-485.  It is NOT Ethernet.  So there should NEVER be any sort of connection to a LOR controller or a DMX interface to an Ethernet switch, port, hub, or router.  To confuse the issue, the same connector type (an 8P8C or more commonly (and incorrectly) RJ-45) is used for both Ethernet and most of the time for LOR, and many times for DMX.  However, they are NOT interchangable.  Plugging one into the other has at least a possible risk of letting out the magic smoke - so don't do it.  Part of the point of this is that you should NOT be calling the RS-485 connection on the CMB24D as eth0 - it's not.  Get out of that habit as it will confuse people or potentially lead to smoke leakage.

As I understand the Falcon board, there should be one or two Ethernet connections (depends on which board), some number of SPI interfaces to drive pixel strings, and one or more DMX outputs.  The DMX outputs are RS-485.  The DMX standard when using an 8P8C connector uses data on pins 1 & 2, whereas LOR controllers normally use pins 4 & 5 for data.  Some LOR controllers, including the CMB24D, have jumpers or switches to change the 8P8C pinout in order to use either LOR standard or DMX standard.  Those switches do nothing to change the ability to process LOR or DMX protocol data.  In either switch or jumper position, the board will process either DMX or LOR data.

I can't help you much with configuration for the falcon controller.

Yeah  I’m more confused. Seems like it shouldn’t be this complicated. Unless I’m over thinking it all.  Just keep striking out. 

The cmb24 is a LOR controller either switch the CMB controller to DMX or switched the falcon to LOR  I have this setup working on my Falcon with the CMB 24 on serial port 2 

Ok Dennis thanks!

On the “network Configuration” setup in LOR on the DMX tab I added my universe as normal, and set it to Unicast and put in the IP for the falcon. Is unicadt correct?

In the falcon web interface, I have four universes and they are set with absolute addressing and then on the serial tab I set them there.  Is that correct?

I tried for several hours and many configuration setups and still had no luck. I have the pins setup on both for DMX.

Thank you a BUNCH!

how did you test to see if its working, do you have the pixel editor?  The universe in lor network preferances has to be the same one on the Falcon for the port your using. also you have to use the LOR  DMX chart for the start address for the CMB24

Edited by Dennis Laff

Yes Pixel Editor. In LOR I’m using universe 75. I set it to unicast and specified the 192.168.1.50 address of the Falcon. On the falcon I added an absolute address for universe 75. Then switch to tab serial tab where I can assign 75 to any of the four outputs. I tried them all. Back in pixel editor, my test flood light is set to use universe 75 and channel 1,2,3.  So the DIP switch in CMB24 I have only switch number 9 set to “on”.

is that what you mean by “need to use the LOR DMX start”?

thanks!

When you test in pixel editor do you have control lights checked on?  in the falcon  are you using 16 universes and what is the first universe on the falcon

Edited by Dennis Laff

I have some RGB’s working now, but the timings are off.  Any idea about that?  Also, effects like fade up/down don’t work.  Ideas?

I tried saving intensity data and playing in SE also

Do your set the constant bit rate to 128 and normalize the volume on your music before you use it in a sequence sometime the bit rate will effect the timings 

Update. Got nowhere after several hours. Reading, searching, testing. 

Floods light up, I make a brand new sequence in PE, and all I do is add some full on modes with some on/off’s and when I play the visualization is not in sync with what I added.  Any ideas??  Please and thank you.

1 minute ago, Dennis Laff said:

Do your set the constant bit rate to 128 and normalize the volume on your music before you use it in a sequence sometime the bit rate will effect the timings 

Yes. I always do this in audacity. It’s only a issue with these DMX floods I’m adding 

Yes I can do that. I have a meter. At setup I tweak them to just under 12v.  11.8 to 11.9

Not sure how to do this on the lights?