Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Universe - Can I connect just 1 controller and have all run from DMX?

LightsByGreg

Dan and the LOR team - I want to say THANKS for adding DMX support to the controllers. This will definitely help with expansion in the future.

I can't find this in the documentation. Can I plug the DMX-CAT5 converter into the first LOR controller on my network then daisy chain all the rest of the LOR controllers using CAT5? Will they still be able to operate on DMX using this method?

Thank you!
Greg

I thought I would make a diagram to clear it up:

DMX Console ----- DMX/CAT5 Converter ___ LOR Unit 1 ___ LOR Unit 2 ___ LOR Unit 3

Legend:
----- = DMX Cable
___ = CAT5 Cable

Hi Greg, I believe you need a rj45 to a 3 pin dmx male adapter. weather you connect the dmx first than the controler just need to be in series and programed. you already have one for you input that i saw.and that you demoed.

maybe the answer is (just thinking)
have your rs485 out to your first controler. daisy chain to your last controler. cat 5 to your dmx input and connect the second dmx. that way you only need one 3 pin adapter. if you revers it and make your dmx first than you'll need 2 -3pin adapter, innie and outtie. Make sense?

Hi,

Yes you can do it as shown in your diagram. Because this is DMX you may need to put in a terminator at the end of the line. LOR uses special slew limited RS485 that reduces the need for terminators but DMX is much more sensitive.

Dan

As Dan implied in his posting, the modification for controllers to support DMX are firmware, not hardware modifications. Therefore, the controllers will continue to use the same pins as they do for LOR networks.

Pin 4 is A(+), 5 is B(-), and pin 6 is ground. Don't connect pin 3 to the DMX console, because that is +9V DC.

• The topic was locked