Light-O-Rama Forums

Controling LightORama Shows/Sequences Using MIDI or other Commands

estodd90

I do not know if this is currently possible with 5.0 or higher, but is there any way to externally control LOR shows/sequences through the command line or even MIDI commands? I would love to be able to run certain sequences/shows or stop all sequences/shows on demand and in real time using a programmable MIDI board/controller. I know this could be semi-possible using the input PUP, but that would require too many midi relays to control 8 or more sequences and gets to be extremely messy. Does anybody here have any solutions; running batch files maybe? I'm not foreign to scripting/programming so I'd be more than willing to get my hands dirty. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

How would you program your display to be static and then have a sequence run whenever someone votes for a song through MIIP? Also is the URL customizable for the voters? Or is it auto generated?

The URL is xxxx.miip.mobi, where x is your site code

Mine is 1020. miip.mobi which is easy enough to put on a yard sign. It's also my house number. You can redirect from your own page if you have one.

Why did you want static lights. The whole point is musical sequences, Folks may just drive away if nothing is happening.

I have 40+ songs playing continuously and guests can play any of them any time.

Send me an email with your desired four letter/number site code if you want to explore miip.    Itsmebobo yahoo.com

Old video to explain that each site can be skinned the way you want. 

58 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

The URL is xxxx.miip.mobi, where x is your site code

Mine is 1020. miip.mobi which is easy enough to put on a yard sign. It's also my house number. You can redirect from your own page if you have one.

Why did you want static lights. The whole point is musical sequences, Folks may just drive away if nothing is happening.

I have 40+ songs playing continuously and guests can play any of them any time.

I would like my display to be on static until someone selected a video, this is how I currently run my display. It is static until the show starts (the show runs every 15 minutes)

I have seen MIIP but its not applicable to my application. People will actually be sitting watching the show. No need for voting...I need to on-demand fire off a sequence. Is there anybody else out there that might possibly have a solution?

1 minute ago, estodd90 said:

I have seen MIIP but its not applicable to my application. People will actually be sitting watching the show. No need for voting...I need to on-demand fire off a sequence. Is there anybody else out there that might possibly have a solution?

This is more of what I am looking for. I was trying to figure out a way to get a GSM switch to trigger my input pup to fire off sequences on demand. But I havent found a solution that I can implement in the next week.

2 minutes ago, Protege94 said:

This is more of what I am looking for. I was trying to figure out a way to get a GSM switch to trigger my input pup to fire off sequences on demand. But I havent found a solution that I can implement in the next week.

The input pup solution is great but I have over 8 sequences that would need to be fired...a midi to relay solution would be expensive, clunky.  Plus, I don't think the input pup has enough triggers. If you happen to run across a viable solution, could you keep me in the loop Protege94?

19 minutes ago, estodd90 said:

That is exactly what miip does.   https://vimeo.com/74244171

Edited by ItsMeBobO

You absolutely can have static lights running until someone requests a song via MIIP.  I did that last year during the overnight hours.  Once my evening show ended at either 2200 or 2300, the lights went into an almost static condition until people would request a song.  That song would play, and then back to the static.  Multiple songs could be requested and MIIP would keep playing them until there were no more requests pending.  When there were no more requests, it was back to the static lights.

Also works nice for pre-show testing.  I will be setting up that for my show this weekend.

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

You absolutely can have static lights running until someone requests a song via MIIP.  I did that last year during the overnight hours.  Once my evening show ended at either 2200 or 2300, the lights went into an almost static condition until people would request a song.  That song would play, and then back to the static.  Multiple songs could be requested and MIIP would keep playing them until there were no more requests pending.  When there were no more requests, it was back to the static lights.

Also works nice for pre-show testing.  I will be setting up that for my show this weekend.

How did you set it up so the lights were static until a show was requested?

Short version is that your static show is the only thing in the rotation list of songs.  All the requested songs are in the Vote In only section.

Static to me means not connected to any controller.      I am guessing you mean the lights are connected to a controller which is playing a sequence which does not blink very much.    They have to be connected to a controller if you will be using the same lights for a musical song later.  

In MIIP you set up your show to play the 'static'/no-blink sequence in a loop.   MIIP always plays each sequence to the end so if you want a fast response the loop song should be short.. maybe 15 or 20 seconds.   When a guest using their phone 'votes' or requests a song, miip adds it to the showfile. When the  no-blink song completes the LOR player will play the requested song.    Miip then removes that song from the show and the no-blink song resumes looping. 

14 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Static to me means not connected to any controller.      I am guessing you mean the lights are connected to a controller which is playing a sequence which does not blink very much.    They have to be connected to a controller if you will be using the same lights for a musical song later.  

In MIIP you set up your show to play the 'static'/no-blink sequence in a loop.   MIIP always plays each sequence to the end so if you want a fast response the loop song should be short.. maybe 15 or 20 seconds.   When a guest using their phone 'votes' or requests a song, miip adds it to the showfile. When the  no-blink song completes the LOR player will play the requested song.    Miip then removes that song from the show and the no-blink song resumes looping. 

I always viewed static as "All On" but they are connected to a controller. Currently I run "all on" sequences between my actual animated sequences. To try and cut down on the possibility of annoying my neighbors with the blinky flashy running all the time.

• The topic was locked