Light-O-Rama Forums

PVC Pipe Lubricant

mcnamara9

As part of my leaping arches, I've noticed when I put 2 pieces of PVC together (1 pipe has the end coupling), they are very dificult to pull apart when you are done using them. I have to use a hammer and screwdriver to pry them off.

So I'm trying to figure out what I can apply to the pipes before hand to make them easier to come apart. Any suggestions?

I've thought of WD-40 or Vaseline, but not sure if they will break down the plastic in the PVC pipe. Does anyone know?

I used WD-40 last year and had no issues with the pipe. I did use grey electrical conduit instead of the white "sprinkler" pipe so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Scott

Thanks Scott, anyone else? What works best? You guys are a lot brighter than I am (both IQ and the number of lights on your house :D).

Thanks Scott, anyone else? What works best? You guys are a lot brighter than I am (both IQ and the number of lights on your house :D).

Hi

Last year I used vasolene on my arch joints. To ensure the joints remained in place through the season, I also tightened a stainless steel screw pipe clamp around the circumference of the joint. There was no deterioration of the PVC and the joints separated easily after I removed the pipe clamps.

Regards - Geoff

You can try SRS (silicone release spray) food grade - it doesn't deteriorate plastic or rubber and it washes clean with water

antiseize- it use by auto mechanics to keep the bolts from sticking or rusting and is easier to remove bolts later. a must for all mechanics...
*note to self- very hard to remove if you get it all over your hands. must use mechanic soap (soap with sand),gojo, or orange degel to clean off hands.

I just use some heavy grit sandpaper to sand down the end of the PVC pipe. Still fits together tight, and come apart easer.

WOW, thanks everyone for the feedback. This weekend I tried your suggestions and it worked out much better. Thanks again. These forums are great!

Another way is just cut a slot in the PVC end that fits into the beveled end. 1 to1 1/2" Long.

This is the way I built 6 arches. No mess with lubricants.

Use a hacksaw or Band saw. Just the thickness of the blade.

Dennis