Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Pixel Tree kit

rooster423

Capabilities of the Pixie hardware with 1.04 firmware:

LOR regular or enhanced networks at speeds from 19.2Kbps to 1Mbps. 170 pixels/port maximum.

LOR regular network support is primarily for compatibility with old CCR/CCB sequences. Compatibility (resolution/macros/color effects) mode is only supported for 50 pixel/port configurations when running on a LOR regular network. You can run a LOR regular network with any number of pixels/port up to 170, but the complexity of LOR regular network commands may cause a lack of smoothness with more than 50 pixels/port.

S4 PC Software considerations:

The Sequencer and SuperStar addon can be configured to generate commands in either network mode. The Pixel Editor will only generate commands for enhanced mode networks. This may be the cause of confusion, if you use the Pixel Editor and set the network type to LOR regular, it will not work. Enhanced network mode will result in the smoothest transitions because it is designed for RGB pixel displays, you should always configure for Enhanced mode if possible.

S5 PC Software should always use Enhanced networks.

Ok everyone here is a little update. Maybe not exactly what is being discussed here but it still fits

I have been helping another member setup a 144 pixel per string matrix.

After submitting her HD ticket and was told that 170 is correct. We discovered that there was no where to select 170 per port HU and SE 50/100

She then selected pixcon16 in SE and it all works.

I just got off the phone and had a great conversation with LOR and we will probably get another version update someday but in the meantime if you want to set the Pixie16 up for a number greater than 100 just set up in HU as a pixie but when adding the device in SE select Pixcon and all other values will be the same as if it were  Pixie16.

170 works fine entire sequence working in the matrix of 144 pixels per string.

That is great news.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

1 hour ago, LightORamaDan said:

John, who wrote the firmware for the Pixies will respond shortly to this thread and get it all straightened out. As I am typing this, I have three pixie controllers running. One is running using LOR standard protocol. One is running enhanced and a Pixie2 is running raw DMX512. They are all running the same effects ( copied to different controllers in the sequence ) and I can see all three of them performing identically. 

As far as 100 channels vs 170... The true number is 170...using Ehnanced Protocol.  Someone on the help desk that was running on older information indicated that the correct number is 100 but that is old information. We are double checking now, but preliminary reviews indicate that the online manual for the Pixie Controllers has correct information. Internally we are making sure that everyone is updated and working off the same page so we can minimize and not be a contributor to any confusion in the future. We will correct / synchronize our documentation as quickly as possible.

John will provide some additional detail. 

We got the 100 to 170 corrected on her 144 pixels per port matrix.

Set it up In SE as a Pixcon16 until an update comes out allowing us to select the 170 count.

Now I won’t have to cut my strings and add more controllers for my roof outline.

:)

JR

Let me see if I understand this, If you set the pixie up as an old CCR, 50 pixels equivalent, then it will work at the slower speed on an unenhaced network. If you go 100 pixels or more then you need the higher speeds and an enhanced network. Is this correct or did I miss something?

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Let me see if I understand this, If you set the pixie up as an old CCR, 50 pixels equivalent, then it will work at the slower speed on an unenhaced network. If you go 100 pixels or more then you need the higher speeds and an enhanced network. Is this correct or did I miss something?

After I spoke with theM about my findings they are going to look into why most pixies are not working (according to me) unless “enhanced “ is checked.

And I believe you are correct. After my conversation with LOR they wanted to make the pixie as backwards compatable as possible.

Thats why they can’t believe the pixies are not working in normal mode.

Hopefully we are missing something and when they update the manual they will inform us how what to do. 

I don’t have any more pixie2 ccrs - gave them to Orville my concern was the enhance mode for pixies and the 170 count which was accidentally solved today - settingnit up as a Pixcon16 in HU

JR

Edited by dibblejr

• 7 months later...
On 11/8/2018 at 9:12 AM, dibblejr said:

If you are considering purchasing the pixel tree kit you will also need to upgrade your software version and level. 4.3.14 is the minimum (I believe) and pro to run the LOR Enhanced NEtwork

If you get the pixie16 kit  - please refer to the step by step writeup I did yesterday. From box to lights on.

JR

JR Could you post a link to this write up please? 

I am running the v4.4.2 Pro version. I am adding a 16x50 Smart Pixel Tree to the show this year, and am just learning the PE. I am at the point where I have programmed some basic effects on the tree (in PE) and the prop is now added to the SE, and saved as an intensity file. I would now like to add this prop to see on my visualizer. The tree wizard only allows CCR and DMX Pixels. Is there a way to add this Smart Pixel Tree as a prop in the Visualizer, or would using SS be better? Ultimately I am just trying to see my entire layout as I am programming the pixel tree. 

Thank you for any help! Raine

3 hours ago, Raine said:

I am running the v4.4.2 Pro version. I am adding a 16x50 Smart Pixel Tree to the show this year, and am just learning the PE. I am at the point where I have programmed some basic effects on the tree (in PE) and the prop is now added to the SE, and saved as an intensity file. I would now like to add this prop to see on my visualizer. The tree wizard only allows CCR and DMX Pixels. Is there a way to add this Smart Pixel Tree as a prop in the Visualizer, or would using SS be better? Ultimately I am just trying to see my entire layout as I am programming the pixel tree. 

You can follow his post here:

8 hours ago, Raine said:

If you have any problems PM me and I will provide my contact info.

Pretty straight forward with the video I provide in the link.

Thanks Jim K6CCC for providing that. I have a lot going on these days.

I can make you a CCR tree in a matter of minutes for the visualizer if needed.

JR