Light-O-Rama Forums

Transformers

imposterbond

I bought some lights that use an electronic step down rather than the usual wound transformers ...so they wont work on a LOR system - any ideas where I can get some 24v 34.56watt 90ma standard wound transformers from ?(that dont charge the earth to ship as I need 12) I have six other sets (of the wound kind) that work perfectly with LOR .

ty

Hi imposterbond,
You don't say where you are, but I'm guessing UK from your profile.
So, have you tried Maplin or RapidOnline. Rapid have some chassis-mount transformers which may suit. They will need mounting and enclosing though.
I have used Rapid in the past and they are pretty good.

Martin

Ty grandad - we have spoke before re LED lights and bridge rectifyers...I got some direct from Hong kong but they werent that much cop

ps - I am trying to run 2 sets from 1 transformer (the details for one is 24v 90ma ), can I add a second set without any problems or would I have to increase the output of the transformer to 24v 180ma ?:)

imposterbond wrote:

ps - I am trying to run 2 sets from 1 transformer (the details for one is 24v 90ma ), can I add a second set without any problems or would I have to increase the output of the transformer to 24v 180ma ?:)

To be safe you would need to uprate the transformer. Very often the transformers with these "sets" have a non-replaceable internal "fuse" so that if you over stretch them this fuse will go open-cicuit, and then it's the bin for that transformer (unless you wanna risk digging around inside!)

Martin