Jump to content

Recommended setup on Fresh Windows Vista LOR?


Richard Hamilton
 Share

Recommended Posts

Richard Hamilton

Hi Folks,

I've searched the forum on this topic, and still a little unsure what to do. I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I set up a new Windows Vista computer and want to install the latest LOR software. I assume that would be LOR II?

I've used LOR for about 4 years now and have a license and old LOR I software, but I always dislike installing older versions and then upgrading to newer versions. Too many "dinosaur bones" and unneeded registry entries clog the computer.

So I guess the big question is what does an LOR customer (me) do to start out with a fresh copy of the latest software? Do I need to buy it again from LOR, or is there a free upgrade to LOR II?

I've got a big shopping mall plus our houses to do for this Christmas and I'd like to get started out on the right foot by importing my old files into a new version.

Note: While I am on the subject, I always like software that allows a customer to upgrade (or buy an upgrade) without needing the older version already installed on the computer. I got upgrades of other types of software where the installer simply asks for the serial number of the older version if it can't find the software on the computer. To me, that is a smart way of upgrading with less frustration and unnecessary installing of old software in other to upgrade. I am not sure what LOR2 requires.

I appreciate any advice.

RGH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard,

Since the present version of LORII is an upgrade while LOR works out their new license system you will have to install your LOR 1 then do the upgrade to 2.0.16.

I do not know of any other way from the reading I have followed in the forums.

Chuck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanted to do the same thing on my new Vista machine but I ended up having to install LOR 1 and then upgrading to 2.0.16. If it's any help, the install and the upgrade were both flawless as were the imports of my LOR 1.6 sequences from last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you install LOR 2 on your new computer without the old software first, you will get an error message that will not let you into the program.

As far as how to set it up after that, VISTA will assign LOR to the Users, public documents folder. If you want to have it located somewhere else, you will need to tell it when you install it.

Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard Hamilton

Folks, this is just the information I was looking to get. Thanks for all your advice. I thought the installation process might turn out this way. I will take that route.

I do recall installing the LOR II as an upgrade on my older Vista computer without any trouble many months ago, so I am optimistic about the outcome of doing that process on the new computer. I was just hopeful of having LOR II software that would bypass the whole upgrading process.

Thanks again for the replies.

RGH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard Hamilton

Tim_L wrote:

I wanted to do the same thing on my new Vista machine but I ended up having to install LOR 1 and then upgrading to 2.0.16. If it's any help, the install and the upgrade were both flawless as were the imports of my LOR 1.6 sequences from last year.

Oh any by the way Tim, BEAUTIFUL job you did on your house last year. I saw a video and it was fabulous.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard Hamilton

I've come back to make a final posting on this topic because I had trouble trying to upgrade to LOR 2.0.16 from a prior version LOR I. If you have this trouble, then one of the reasons might be the one I mention below...

My goal was to get LOR II (2.0.16) on my NEW Vista Home Premium computer.

I first installed LORInstall5A13.exe which was the original software I bought. That install went well. (I did not allow it to overwrite 9 system files that were already newer on my computer).

I then tried to upgrade to LORUpgrade2.0.16, but I got the following error…

“Light-ORama is not installed on this PC. This is a product upgrade. You must install and run the full version before you can apply this update! Reason Code = 1.” Hmmmm. it seems I just installed it.

I noticed I had another upgrade to LORUpgrade169.exe, so I thought maybe I needed to upgrade to that version before going to LOR II. That setup program also gave me the same error.

After snooping around at the config files and the registry to look for differences in the new installation compared to my old computer, it was an obviously simple solution. YOU MUST RUN THE PRIOR VERSION AT LEAST ONCE BEFORE UPGRADING. It isn't good enough to simply restart the computer. It appears that LOR I sets a couple of initial configurations the first time you run it. It also appears that LOR II needs those configurations to determine if a prior version was installed.

My assumption was obviously wrong. I thought I could simply install LOR I, restart the computer and then install 2.0.16. So if you have the error message I mention above, you might try running the previous version first, and then upgrade.

A note for LOR folks... you might consider checking for an LOR root key in the registry to determine if a prior version is installed. On my own software I place a hidden encrypted key in the registry (among other methods) to determine if a prior valid purchased version was installed.

Geeeee, LOR II is a sweet piece of work !!!!!!!!!!!!

RGH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard Hamilton wrote:

You must install and run the full version before you can apply this update! Reason Code = 1.”

Richard,

Isn't amazing how we do miss the simple sometime. I ran into that, but forgot to mention it to you when I posted my response.

Glad it all worked out well for you in the end.

Chuck
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard Hamilton

Jeff Millard wrote:

Richard Hamilton wrote:
(I did not allow it to overwrite 9 system files that were already newer on my computer)


Herein lies the key to Richard's initial problem. While it seems a good thing to do, some of the DLLs in the install of LORInstall5A13.exe are required. After you allow it to overwrite those DLLs and start LOR one time, it will not work correctly as it is not Vista ready so you will have to install the most current upgrade to make it Vista compatable. Then you will be able to install the current LOR S2.

Jeff


Thanks for the post Jeff. I am not quite certain what you are saying. Maybe I did not make it clear. I did not allow the LOR installer to overwrite newer existing versions of DLL and custom controls on my computer.

Dan confirmed by email that the problem was as I stated above. The old version must be run once before upgrading. It had nothing to do with the shared DLLs and controls.

In general, I think you never want to overwrite existing versions of older DLLs because they are usually in a shared folder and run a right risk of breaking other software that also uses those dlls. LOR will use the existing newer versions of those controls and dlls because 3rd party files are designed to be backwards compatible. Hence I don't have any trouble running LOR in Vista.

The older LOR software uses a very simple free installer that was included in several development toolkits such as Visual Basic and the early Visual Studio kits. It always asks the user if they want to replace existing older files and there is no way to turn off those messages as I recall. Newer and more robust installers (like I noticed Dan is using in LOR II) don't even bother to ask a user if they want to replace a file because it is too risky to overwrite an older version. The developer can override those choices at design time.

Just thought I would clear up any possible confusion about what I did regarding the DLL overwrite messages.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

In same boat...Am I right, all I need to do is install LOR1 Paid version, Run it once (maybe an error cause of vista), than install the latest version on LORII?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard Hamilton

Yes, exactly correct.... except that you should not receive any error from Vista after running the first version. I was able to run it just fine in Vista.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I installed the 1.6 paid version that Dan gave me a link for on the vista machine, it works great. I open sequence editor made some changes, closed it and tried the 2.0 upgrade same error as mentioned above??? Help!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard Hamilton

txcanes wrote:

I installed the 1.6 paid version that Dan gave me a link for on the vista machine, it works great. I open sequence editor made some changes, closed it and tried the 2.0 upgrade same error as mentioned above??? Help!!


Yo TX,

You say same error as mentioned above? What error would that be? I am not sure what error you are talking about. Can you be more specific about what you are seeing when you upgrade?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

You have to run the Control Panel once before upgrading, not the Sequence Editor. All this is in the release information in the first post of this forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard Hamilton

schristi69 wrote:

You have to run the Control Panel once before upgrading, not the Sequence Editor. All this is in the release information in the first post of this forum.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that. I recently installed LOR 1.6 on two new computers, ran the sequencer, then upgraded to 2.0.16. I did not have any trouble. I never ran the LOR control panel.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read that post, control panel was open, sequence editor was opened and did not work. Removed upgrade, Reinstalled 1.6.1, Rebooted, opened them all again, upgraded again, it worked.

Please do not assume that people have not read the posts above, simply check to see if they have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard Hamilton

txcanes wrote:

Please do not assume that people have not read the posts above, simply check to see if they have.

Huh ??? :cool: I don't get what you are saying.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

On a side note, I would just like to wish everyone on the forum a most wonderful holiday. I hope all the lights control correctly and bring joy to all who see them. God Bless to All.

My problem:

I installed the software I bought (v 1.6.15) on a winXP desktop, had to upgrade to WMP 11 to get S2 (v 2.0.16) LOR to work, I am now trying to install LOR on a laptop that uses Vista. I've installed (v 1.6.15), ran the control panel, removed, ran the registry wipe, reinstalled, ran the control panel, sequence editor, hardware utility, and I still can't install S2. WMP 11 is installed

"Light-ORama is not installed on this PC. This is a product upgrade. You must install and run the full version before you can apply this update! Reason Code = 1"

Any ideas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard Hamilton

Wait a second... Why did you run the registry wipe after you installed ver 1.6.15?

If you are trying to put LOR on a fresh Vista computer, then you should install the full version that you bought, then after running the control panel, proceed to upgrade to the latest version. You should not run the registry wipe at any time. That will likely prevent you from upgrading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

bisquit476 wrote:

I've installed (v 1.6.15), ran the control panel, removed, ran the registry wipe, reinstalled, ran the control panel, sequence editor, hardware utility, and I still can't install S2. WMP 11 is installed

"Light-ORama is not installed on this PC. This is a product upgrade. You must install and run the full version before you can apply this update! Reason Code = 1"

Any ideas

You have to install and run the 1.6.15 that part is correct. However when you ran registry wipe you removed all reference to LOR in the registry. If your getting the error that LOT is not installed when your installing 1.6.15. I believe that it is because 1.6.15 is only an upgrade. You may have to go back to 1.6.9 to get the full install.

Chuck
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1.6.15 exe was the download file I got when I bought the software. I don't have any lower software. From the LOR support site:
Cause: To comply with changes in Vista, LOR software 1.6.3 and higher stores data in different locations on your PC. Due to issues that we do not yet understand, the locations pointers are sometimes incorrect after a Update. Fix: To fix the problem the LOR entries in the System Registry are wiped out so that the freshly installed software can rebuild the information correctly. Follow these steps in the order listed:Stop all LOR programs. If the LOR bulb is running in the system tray right click it and select "Unload Light-O-Rama"

  1. Run the LOR Registry Wipe program located here: LORRegistryWipe.exe
  2. Start the Light-O-Rama control panel: Click Start->All Programs->Light-O-Rama->Light-O-Rama Control Panel

After running the registry wipe, I used the location that the LOR software gave me for the control panel as the location of the LOR files. I ran all the utilities in the LOR folder before trying to upgrade to S2, again no help. The first time I ran the install of 1.6.15, I only ran the control panel and sequence editor, but the last time I ran all the utilities. ???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You should not have to run the regwipe after install. Sounds to me like you have wiped out more than just the file locations in the registry.

Chuck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...