Freon the snow man

ken collins

Finally getting a chance to work out the rest of our snow man. He pops up out of the ground, has a working mouth and eyes, and tells the folks about the show, then melts back down into a pool of lights.

I've experimented with a bunch of different lifts to bring this dude up and down. I finally came up with an easy way. I just buried a pipe into the ground, fixed a cable on one side of the top of the buried pipe. Took another pipe and afixed a pully to the bottom. The cable goes down the inside of the pipe, around the pully, and back up the other side around another pully attacked to the buried pipe. when you pull on the cable the inner pipe goes up, or down if you slack it.

I plan on operating the cable with an electric motor with a spool to wind the cable around or feed out. So, now I'm looking for a couple of motors, if anybody has any to get rid of, and how to hook em up. Probally need a couple of relays. Anybody done this before and want to share some part numbers??

Donald Puryear

A windshield wiper motor works great. I've used similar setups for Halloween. You could also use air cylinders to do the same operation. If you chose the wiper motor you will need two relays and two LOR channels. This is the easiest way without using limit switches.

As Donald said the Halloween prop control methods would work. Look at www.monsterguts.com and other Halloween sites for motor and pneumatic supplies and app notes. I think pneumatics would be perfect, you can get 110VAC powered valves to control compressed air to the cylinders.

Howard

paullawrence

ken collins wrote:

... The cable goes down the inside of the pipe, around the pully, and back up the other side around another pully attacked to the buried pipe. when you pull on the cable the inner pipe goes up, or down if you slack it....

Ken, be sure and put some sort of safety slip joint or spring in the cable. You don't want some jerk sitting on your snowman to keep it from coming up and getting impaled on your pipe.

I have all the valves and toy'd with this idea.. This guy is 4 ft tall, and will weigh around 60 lbs when completed. I built the frame all out of 1/4 inch steel rod, and its constructed accordion style to all fold down on itself. I would need a cyl to go from 1ft to 4ft and couldn't come up with anything unless I spend a whole bunch of time on a lathe. But thanks for the idea...

Ken

I have all the valves and toy'd with this idea.. This guy is 4 ft tall, and will weigh around 60 lbs when completed. I built the frame all out of 1/4 inch steel rod, and its constructed accordion style to all fold down on itself. I would need a cyl to go from 1ft to 4ft and couldn't come up with anything unless I spend a whole bunch of time on a lathe. But thanks for the idea...

Ken