Light-O-Rama Forums

Converting old LED Phillips Lights

mtz6

Hello,

New to LOR and have some old Phillips Illuminate LED C9s. I was wondering if these can be converted to work with LOR? The starter set comes with a controller and than there are add on strings. Phillips has an app that can be used to customize the lights however it is very limited, that is why I am looking to expand in LOR. I am ok with doing some wiring if I need to eliminate the control box and can use the light strands.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

You'd need one of LOR's DC Controllers and you would need to cut the control box off, are these RGB type L.E.D. strands, do you have a link where they can be viewed?  Without knowing a few more particulars about them, they may or may not be usable with any other controller other than their own.

So more info is really needed on exactly what type lights they are, does each have it's own circuitry built into the bulb?  If so, you need to know what IC chip drives the bulb, this will tell us if they are SMART or DUMB RGB lights, if they are true RGB.  And then we need to know are they 5V or 12V?   Lots of additional info required before any of us may be able to truly help you with these.

I have older lights that are called RGB, but they ARE NOT a true RGB, they are 3 separate L.E.D. bulbs straight wired to a control board in some LightShow Trees I bought years ago from Gemmy.   I've taken them apart and can't really use a true RGB controller with them because of how they are made.

This is why we need a lot more info to be able to help you know if cutting off the control box is even possible or worth it to try and convert them.  Not all lights that claim to be RGB from years back are convertable due to the way they are wired.

5 minutes ago, Orville said:

You'd need one of LOR's DC Controllers and you would need to cut the control box off, are these RGB type L.E.D. strands, do you have a link where they can be viewed?  Without knowing a few more particulars about them, they may or may not be usable with any other controller other than their own.

So more info is really needed on exactly what type lights they are, does each have it's own circuitry built into the bulb?  If so, you need to know what IC chip drives the bulb, this will tell us if they are SMART or DUMB RGB lights, if they are true RGB.  And then we need to know are they 5V or 12V?   Lots of additional info required before any of us may be able to truly help you with these.

I have older lights that are called RGB, but they ARE NOT a true RGB, they are 3 separate L.E.D. bulbs straight wired to a control board in some LightShow Trees I bought years ago from Gemmy.   I've taken them apart and can't really use a true RGB controller with them because of how they are made.

This is why we need a lot more info to be able to help you know if cutting off the control box is even possible or worth it to try and convert them.  Not all lights that claim to be RGB from years back are convertable due to the way they are wired.

I tried to look at the user guide (got kicked out before it fully loaded). What I saw was a 3 wire connector (similar to what HC uses on their Smart pixels).

Given the extend ability, I guess 12 or 24V'

The biggest Question: protocol on that 3rd wire

I opened up the control box and can’t find a whole lot there. There are 3 wires coming out of the box to the first bulb and a lot of grey goo. Than it changes to 4 wires. However the extensions are about 10ft and only 3 wire. I also took a look at the “bulbs” appears they have 2 LEDs, one white one RGB. Tried to post a photo but can’t due to size. Also tried to do a lot of online research and can’t find a ton of info so I am guessing these are out.

pdf manual here for the Phillips Lights: Philips-Illuminate C9 Light Manual

Appears to me these are specifically controlled in 2 ways, direct from the control box or via Wi-Fi .  The manual is long and from what I've read thus far, I sort of doubt these lights can be converted to use with any other controller.  They appear to be proprietary to their control box.

I'd just buy new RGB Controllers and RGB lights that either come with it or can be mated with it.   Seems these particular lights, at least to me, won't convert very well, if at all.  Again, from what I can gather from the user manual.