Light-O-Rama Forums

Simple Show Builder and G3-MP3 errors...

dansamy

I have problems close to this while using the MP3 tab on HU.  Everything is fine and LOVE how simple it is to load the files and select the accessories (i.e. 500k for Network speed).  However, everything is not what it seems.  I plug the sd card in my G3-MP3 Director and the director says error,  no SD card.  I can look at the files on the SD card and they come with Config,  MP3 Format, ENH and EXH files.  Why is the card not reading????  Firmware issue?  I had somewhat success with the Showtime builder but the files I wanted to load are the problem.  I can load everything from my thumb drive which has all music and sequences.

I used the Simple Showtime Builder but have problems with the files not being where they are supposed to be, or the files are not updating.  I checked where they are supposed to be but when I save my sequences (both hard drive in the LOR directory and the thumbdrive)  they go to another place.  I checked the root directory and they all are in the directory but when it comes to loading them, some are there and others are not.  Since I am using the G3-MP3 Director, I was able to some sequences downloaded and played it but they are the old and not updated files.  Using windows 7 on my laptop to do everything but save all work on my thumb drive as it is easiest to transfer to multiple computers for back ups. 

Thanks in advanced!

John

Edited by Obejohnknobe

14 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

I have problems close to this while using the MP3 tab on HU.  Everything is fine and LOVE how simple it is to load the files and select the accessories (i.e. 500k for Network speed).  However, everything is not what it seems.  I plug the sd card in my G3-MP3 Director and the director says error,  no SD card.  I can look at the files on the SD card and they come with Config,  MP3 Format, ENH and EXH files.  Why is the card not reading????  Firmware issue?  I had somewhat success with the Showtime builder but the files I wanted to load are the problem.  I can load everything from my thumb drive which has all music and sequences.

I used the Simple Showtime Builder but have problems with the files not being where they are supposed to be, or the files are not updating.  I checked where they are supposed to be but when I save my sequences (both hard drive in the LOR directory and the thumbdrive)  they go to another place.  I checked the root directory and they all are in the directory but when it comes to loading them, some are there and others are not.  Since I am using the G3-MP3 Director, I was able to some sequences downloaded and played it but they are the old and not updated files.  Using windows 7 on my laptop to do everything but save all work on my thumb drive as it is easiest to transfer to multiple computers for back ups. 

Thanks in advanced!

John

You need the Kingston class 4 or higher card.

If its not youll need to get one. Until I added pixels I never had a problem using PNY class 4 cards. The day I added pixels and started beta testing I had the same error.

Took all day to find a Kingston card, built the show in HU and it played instantly.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I'm glad my computer CAN NOT run Windows 10, MS tried to force it onto my computer when they were "giving it away for free".   It messed up my registry files and everything else because it tried it's hardest to install itself, even though my system kept telling the moronic program, THIS COMPUTER DOES NOT MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO RUN WINDOWS 10.   Like I said, MS coders are a bunch of brain dead IDIOTS!

Anyway I had to go through and DELETE everything in my Windows 7 Registry to get rid of the Windows 10 garbage, then I found the installer file that MS put on my system WITHOUT MY PERMISSION {which IS ILLEGAL!}  I just do not know how they keep getting away with crap like this, so found the installer and deleted it, made a dummy file with the same name and marked it as READ ONLY and HIDDEN.   I actually BEAT MS on this one, there installer can't and will never be able to load back onto MY system ever again, not unless I delete that "dummy file I created, and there is no way I'm ever going to do that!  I also have numerous other dummy files that block Windows 10 from MY system.  

So MS Windows 10 GOT BOOTED and LOCKED OUT of my computer.🤣🤣🤣

Sorry Microsoft, I'm a lot smarter than you think I am!:P:P:P:P:P

I think a lot fo the MS workers look like this too:  🤪  And this too {of course}:🤑

JR

I looked and it is a Kingston SC HD 8GB C4 SD card (it was provided when I purchased it).  I used the Simple Show builder and it works with it.  Just do not know why it will not work when I use the HU.  It programs and can see the files but just does not want to see the card in the Director.  I have never updated the firmware in the G3-MP3 Director could that be an issue?  I will go ahead and look for PNY ones to see if there is a difference.

John

JR,

Just found a Scan Disk Micro SD card my son was not using and started an experiment.  I used the sleeve to put the micro sd card in, not sure what class but it is definitely newer than my Kingston regular SD card, and is a 32 Gig memory.  I did not delete his Nintendo Switch info and used the HU to program it.  In the programming, loaded the Halloween Sequences, used the 500k and all the trimmings with it since the sequences used are 95% pixels.  Programming came out well and plugged into the G3-MP3 Director........it did NOT get the SD card error.  Just waiting till the sequences come on and will let ya'll know how it worked out.

John

Edited by Obejohnknobe

28 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

JR,

Just found a Scan Disk Micro SD card my son was not using and started an experiment.  I used the sleeve to put the micro sd card in, not sure what class but it is definitely newer than my Kingston regular SD card, and is a 32 Gig memory.  I did not delete his Nintendo Switch info and used the HU to program it.  In the programming, loaded the Halloween Sequences, used the 500k and all the trimmings with it since the sequences used are 95% pixels.  Programming came out well and plugged into the G3-MP3 Director........it did NOT get the SD card error.  Just waiting till the sequences come on and will let ya'll know how it worked out.

John

It could be hit and miss who knows. I only use my director for testing in my back yard.

But prior to last July no probs at all with non pixel stuff with any on my PNY cards.

SanDisc - for whatever reason is not recommended by LOR - But if it works, great

I did not get the error during card creation it was when I placed it in the mini Director- no show

JR

Edited by dibblejr

It's not that *I* can't find the file. LOR can't find the mp3 file when I try to create a show. This has occurred with both SSB & HWU. I always "save as" when saving the sequence. I *did* discover that some sequences are trying to point to an "internal media". I have gone back and edited the media AGAIN to point to the correct location of the mp3 file. 

1 hour ago, dansamy said:

It's not that *I* can't find the file. LOR can't find the mp3 file when I try to create a show. This has occurred with both SSB & HWU. I always "save as" when saving the sequence. I *did* discover that some sequences are trying to point to an "internal media". I have gone back and edited the media AGAIN to point to the correct location of the mp3 file. 

Why do you “always save as”? Just save the sequence. If it’s a donor sequence just close without saving so you don’t accidentally save anything you didn’t intend.

Just asking, try determine the motive for doing it this way if it’s your own work.

JR

Ok gentlemen,

Found the show works and its now down to minor details.   I did find out why the Simple Show Builder was not finding my files...I had two directories in where it was filing my sequences to.  After I deleted the one I did not want, everything defaulted to where I wanted it to go.  I normally save to 2 places after working on sequences as I do not know if I will be on the same computer which is where the thumb drive comes in.

I do have to figure out why some of my Go To 89.9 pixels are not lighting in the show.  I checked the lights on HU and a small sequencer (can't remember what it is called) and everything lights up.  Now, I figure out if I programmed the card correctly.  I do have the sequence with the correct number of Pixels, don't remember if it is programmed on the card as 100 pixels.  Will check it out

Thanks everyone!

John

20 hours ago, dansamy said:

The only way that can happen is if you MOVED the MP3 file from where it originally resided when you created the sequence or you RENAMED the MP3.  The SE WILL NOT SEARCH or LOCATE any MP3 if it's NOT in the EXACT FOLDER you originally loaded it from, or if it's been renamed!

Somehow you are either moving or renaming the MP3 and this is why the LOR software CAN NOT find it!   

No other way to make a sequence NOT find an MP3 other than deleting the MP3, renaming or moving it out of where the SE is looking for it for the sequence you created.   Or if you rename a folder where the MP3 is, all these will create the MEDIA NOT FOUND error as well as all the previous criteria. 

This is a newbie mistake that happens quite often, I did it when I started too.

All MP3 files MUST remain in the EXACT FOLDER where you originally sequenced them from for the SE to find it.  Otherwise these issues will haunt you until you learn NOT to move your files around.  

Been there, dome it, and got the tag line to prove it. 🤣

Edited by Orville

21 hours ago, dibblejr said:

It could be hit and miss who knows. I only use my director for testing in my back yard.

But prior to last July no probs at all with non pixel stuff with any on my PNY cards.

SanDisc - for whatever reason is not recommended by LOR - But if it works, great

I did not get the error during card creation it was when I placed it in the mini Director- no show

JR

When I used a Director {with the built in clock}, I use an assortment of SD Cards, mainly mine were San Disk and I never had an issue with any of them, I used 2GB and 4GB SD cards, but this was an older DC-MP3 Director {not the newer G3 unit}, back then LOR didn't recommend San Disk either, but it's what I had, so I used them, they always worked fine for me.  Never had a problem. 

Today, that may not be the case.  I may invest in another Director {G3} unit one of these days, but presently using my computer to run my shows works out better.

22 hours ago, Obejohnknobe said:

JR

I looked and it is a Kingston SC HD 8GB C4 SD card (it was provided when I purchased it).  I used the Simple Show builder and it works with it.  Just do not know why it will not work when I use the HU.  It programs and can see the files but just does not want to see the card in the Director.  I have never updated the firmware in the G3-MP3 Director could that be an issue?  I will go ahead and look for PNY ones to see if there is a difference.

John

I always update my firmware if available, sometimes that will solve issues that could crop up.  I'd wait til after your Halloween Show is over now, it's not a good time to update stuff like that a few days or a week or so before showtime.  But as soon as Halloween is over, I'd recommend looking and seeing if there is a newer update than what's in your Director unit.  

It may actually resolve the SD Card writing issues via the HWU.  

I seem to have had to update mine years ago for a similar issue writing to my SD Cards via the HWU.  I could write them via SSB, but HWU would get persnickety about writing to them and sometimes tell me there was no SD card in the unit when it was plugged in, even recommended cards would fail when writing to them and get card not inserted issues. 

Alas my Director bit the dust after 4 years of 24/7/365 use, but while it worked, it never missed a beat unless I did. LOL

6 hours ago, Orville said:

The only way that can happen is if you MOVED the MP3 file from where it originally resided when you created the sequence or you RENAMED the MP3.  The SE WILL NOT SEARCH or LOCATE any MP3 if it's NOT in the EXACT FOLDER you originally loaded it from, or if it's been renamed!

Somehow you are either moving or renaming the MP3 and this is why the LOR software CAN NOT find it!   

No other way to make a sequence NOT find an MP3 other than deleting the MP3, renaming or moving it out of where the SE is looking for it for the sequence you created.   Or if you rename a folder where the MP3 is, all these will create the MEDIA NOT FOUND error as well as all the previous criteria. 

This is a newbie mistake that happens quite often, I did it when I started too.

All MP3 files MUST remain in the EXACT FOLDER where you originally sequenced them from for the SE to find it.  Otherwise these issues will haunt you until you learn NOT to move your files around.  

Been there, dome it, and got the tag line to prove it. 🤣

I have neither renamed nor moved the mp3 since originally pointing the sequence to the mp3. I DID find that some sequences were trying to use an "internal media file", which I did not direct the SE to use. Repointing the sequence to the mp3 file a few times ended up eventually resolving the issue. 

On 10/29/2018 at 8:15 PM, dibblejr said:

Why do you “always save as”? Just save the sequence. If it’s a donor sequence just close without saving so you don’t accidentally save anything you didn’t intend.

Just asking, try determine the motive for doing it this way if it’s your own work.

JR

Habit from other projects. Important for selecting exactly where I want something saved. 

Hello everyone!

Giving an update on the G3-MP3 issues.  Programming is a breeze on the HU MP3 Tab.  You can even set the network  multiplexing speed from there as you cannot from the Simple Showtime Builder.   I do the same as dansamy when it comes to saving.  Had 2 hard drives go down in 1 year so I now save to my hard drive and a thumb drive with the thumb drive as the primary.  I also use the thumb drive to go between my laptop and desktop computers.  All of my MP3's and sequences are on all 3 (thumb drive, laptop and desktop) to make sure SE can go to whichever it wants to go.  All new work gets saved to all 3.   Let's just say it is a preventive measure that I do to prevent loss of work.

Now for the main update, the MP3 Director would save Simple Showtime Builder on a Kingston 16 Gig Class 4 SD card and play the sequences. However the card would save the show from the MP3 tab on the HU but when I plugged the sd card into the MP3 Director  there was an "error, no SD card" on the display.  Tried my sons 32 gig class 10 micro sd card as an experiment and everything works to include the sequencing.  Please note there has been no updated firmware since I purchased it about 3-4 years ago.  Next step is we purchased 2 Scan Disc 32 gig class 10 micro cards (1 for him and the other for the show), programmed it using the MP3 tab in HU and everything works to include sequences.  Not sure if there is any other brand name card that will or will not work  but it sure looks like the newer cards will work.  I do run about 98% pixels for my show.

Hope this helps,

John

11 hours ago, dansamy said:

I have neither renamed nor moved the mp3 since originally pointing the sequence to the mp3. I DID find that some sequences were trying to use an "internal media file", which I did not direct the SE to use. Repointing the sequence to the mp3 file a few times ended up eventually resolving the issue. 

That's really strange. 

I can have SE set to internal or not, I don't use internal, but SE still creates TWO, not one, 2 Audio files: WAV and WMA file from the MP3 file, no matter if this is on or off, only difference here is if internal is on, the SE looks for the WAV or WMA file INSTEAD of the MP3, and those are all kept in the LOR directory under the LORInternal subdirectory, and then there are a multitude of subdirs in there as well.    Seems internal also copies the same folder structure where the original MP3 file was taken from.  I.E.   MP3 file DarkStorm.MP3 is in the folder C:\LOR\192k\Stormy Weather that same directory structure is mimicked inthe C:\LOR\LORInternal\192K\Stormy Weather, but no MP3 is there, just DarkStorm.wav and DarkStorm.wma would be found.

If internal was on, then you turn it off, the SE *should* look for the MP3 file in the original location it was taken from and not bother with the other 2 files {WAV or WMA}, which if internal is on, the 2 files it creates ARE MUCH LOUDER than the original MP3 file.  Which I find a bit strange in that respect, I can load those WAV and WMA's in other music players and they can be anywhere from1 to 3 times LOUDER than the original MP3.   Not sure I understand why that is or even why using internal would do that to the newly created files.

At least when I turned internal off {I don't use it}, I never had to re-link the MP3 to any sequences, SE just picked it up from where I sequenced it from originally and loaded the MP3 I used when I opened the sequence file.   So I find it a little odd you had to re-link the MP3 files to the sequences.

Do all  your thumb drives when inserted into the computer always keep/use the same Drive letter designation?   That is do all 3 maintain say Drive F for example. 

If not, that's where the issue is probably coming from. 

It's the only thing I can think of that might cause you to have to re-link your MP3 files to a sequence, if the TD is being reassigned a different drive designation when re-inserted again to save your files. 

I just know if I insert 3 different devices{at different times}, each one is given it's own drive letter, TD 1 may be drive M, TD 2 may be Drive N and TD may be Drive O in my case.  Since my last drive designation is L.

I'm not sure if this is what's happening or not.  Again, this is the only thing I can even think would create issues like you're having.   If all 3 Drives are mirrored and all have the same drive letter, then there shouldn't be any issues at all doing this.

Both of my computers saves my work to the internal hard drive in where the LOR directory is loaded to.  I had to delete one of my LOR directories copied from a downed hard drive.  I loaded everything from an external hard drive info salvaged from the crashed hard drive to the laptop [new/old laptop (new to me, old due to my son's old laptop)] AND my desktop.  Before the conflict was discovered, SE would save anything I did in LOR software to either directory where it wanted to.  Unfortunately, the crashed HD info was saved to BOTH computers.  I have since gleaned all work, saved it over to where it needed to be and deleted the old LOR software.  You might have to look for more than one LOR directory if you have downloaded updates or have gone to a newer version.  Use the windows search file for it.

I use the G3-MP3 Director and have found it does not like anything else other than MP3s.  As far as MP3s', had to set my windows media player to save all cds to MP3s and save to my music file. Usually I organized it from there, every now and then have to point SE to where I last put the file because of the reorganization.  When using SE, I can direct it to look in the directory where I last put the MP3 (Shout Out to Phil M for showing me how!!).  Also, Audacity has a free program that can convert MP3s to any audio waveform (WAV, WMP, ect) or anything to MP3s.  You can tell it where to save also to augment SE.

I use my thumb drive to save and transfer all work to BOTH computers.  The bulk of my LOR work is completed on my laptop and save a copy to my thumb drive, which in turn, is saved on my desktop about every 2 to 3 weeks when I am working on sequencing.  As long as you keep the "save as" function to the thumb drive after you have completed your work for that session, the thumb drive will not matter which slot it is in.  If you do not and save to the thumb drive the next save (disk icon on upper left on SE) it will save to your thumb drive not on the HD (done it by accident).  The "save as" function can be your best friend or your worse enemy depending where you were last sequencing.  When you start with SE, make sure it is the latest sequence you worked on because if you do not, you could overwrite other work when saving.   Now with that being said, it makes sense to me  to back everything up at least twice, due to HD problems with past computers.  Lost some sentimental photos due to HD problems in the past couple of years.

Hope this helps,

John

I have my files on 2 different HD's, 1 internal, 1 external, and then I have SD Cards and multiple e=mail accounts where I also upload my sequences and MP3 files too. This is so I don't lose everything. 

This way I've got my stuff in a lot of different places.   But I only ever use one drive for sequencing and pointing to the MP3 Audio files, all in the LOR folder on C Drive.  But once I complete a sequence and even those I haven't, "WIP" {Work-In-Progress} sequences get uploaded.  

After losing a ton of work one year when a drive crashed, right in the middle of backing some new and old stuff up.   I started putting everything in various places everywhere, so if that happens again, I still have everything, may lose a few just done, but I'd rather lose a few new edits as opposed to everything!  Hard lesson learned that year.

Edited by Orville

I don't save my files on a thumb drive. Currently all on my internal HD. I select my audio, make my sequence, save as newly named file in a specific location. When I attempted to make a show, mp3 files not found for several sequences. 

7 hours ago, dansamy said:

I don't save my files on a thumb drive. Currently all on my internal HD. I select my audio, make my sequence, save as newly named file in a specific location. When I attempted to make a show, mp3 files not found for several sequences. 

That is really odd.  Like said only time I ever encountered that is because Drive letter changed on a temporary drive I inserted into a USB port, or I moved or renamed the original MP3 file or folder location.

In all my years of sequencing I've never encountered the issue you have.   That's a first for me, and one I found very strange indeed.

But glad you were able to fix the issue.  Still odd that it even occurred.