Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Colors Don't Appear As Expected

jroot

Any recommendations for colors that don't look the way they should? 

Use case: Selecting a pretty standard and clearly orange color (for Halloween), but the CCRs and bullets and floods all look closer to yellow/gold than orange. I realize this could be a matter of perception and preference, but I'm wondering if there  is a setting that will "true up" the colors? Or is this simply trial and error on my part until I get the orange I want. Another example includes choosing purple but having it look too blue. Thanks!  

I had some problems finding orange and purple but trial and error I got this; for orange try Red at 255, green at 25 and blue at 0, for purple try red at 255, green at 0 and blue at 255.

Let me know how that goes.

I find the easy way to get the colors you want is to have a set of pixels next to your computer on a small controller so you can actually see the color changing as you select colors 

7 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

I find the easy way to get the colors you want is to have a set of pixels next to your computer on a small controller so you can actually see the color changing as you select colors 

+1. No surprises that way.

Agree with Dennis.  Power up the actual lights and play with levels to get the color you like.  And yes, Orange is a hard to get right.

I hate orange.  Each year it seems like I'm having to tweak it a bit.  This year I replaced a couple strips and found that the 2 different manufactures produce different outputs with the same color code.  Had to just adjust while running the lights to make them how I wanted.

13 minutes ago, Little_b said:

I hate orange.  Each year it seems like I'm having to tweak it a bit.  This year I replaced a couple strips and found that the 2 different manufactures produce different outputs with the same color code.  Had to just adjust while running the lights to make them how I wanted.

My 16 Strip tree had two ribbons go bad last year, lots of flickering. Instead of just replacing those two ribbons for this year and take the chance of different shades i ordered all new ribbons. I purchased 20 new ribbons, 16 for the tree and 4 backups for replacements so I know they are all from the same manufacturer.

The other 14 that were still good got repurposed for other things this year and the two bad are used for cutting up into sections when I cut the bad parts out.

Edited by Mr. P