Light-O-Rama Forums

Color changing Led light suggestion

Platinumcd

Hello

I am considering putting up some lights on my roof line that could be used for Christmas and Halloween. I would have to get a lift to put up as tall as the house is, so I am thinking of some I can just leave up Oct through Dec but change the colors. My initial thought is something like a C9 light. I want something durable and that also has a color memory so it goes back to the last color when powered back up again. Thanks for the help everyone. 

I use Pixel Strips on my eaves and around the garage door year round.  I control them with LOR Sequences and have a different show for each of the month that change colors. Jan-blue, Feb- pink, March- Green, July- Red white and blue.

I definitely want something that I can control with my sequences. Do you happen to have a pic or two you could send of what yours look like attached to the house in the daytime ? Thanks a bunch.  Email is platinum.cd@gmail.com

23 minutes ago, Platinumcd said:

I definitely want something that I can control with my sequences. Do you happen to have a pic or two you could send of what yours look like attached to the house in the daytime ? Thanks a bunch.  Email is platinum.cd@gmail.com

You are knd of giving a mixed signal so that is why Phil recommended the lights he did. You stated, " I want something durable and that also has a color memory so it goes back to the last color when powered back up again." The memory part tells me you didn't want something you could sequence.

I have never messed with any of these before I just thought with the memory it would know what color I wanted between Halloween and Christmas but controlling colors with the controller would be something I haven’t done yet. I just started this month with this process and have only done standard solid colored leds so far for a Halloween display. I don’t know about the othe options that’s why I’m asking. 

We all have started from scratch and had to learn everything.  If you could commit to LOR sequence controlled C9, there would be more definative recommendations. 

YFor LOR, you would need to decide on either d;umb or smart bulbs which means controlling a color throught a string versus controllering each bulbs color. Smart versus dumb, different controllers.   So if you're not interested in buying additional controllers right now, then some "stand alone" strings that were mentioned (HD link) would be a likely choice.

HIGHLY recommend that you go with some variety of smart pixels.  I am using about 400 GE Color Effects lights.  For our purposes, cut off the little controller that they come with and  hook them up to a pixel controller.  They are very slightly smaller than a C9 bulb. 

GECE_dual_mounting.jpg

BTW, the reason for the double rows is to allow "bouncing" the lights.  You can see that on the first video on the link below, starting at 2:48.  For that song, the eves lights are essentially static except for the bounces, but each bulb is independently controlled.

http://www.newburghlights.org/Videos.html

• Like 1

Jim, where did you find those bulb holders to make your "bounce" lights?   That's a neat effect, but I've never seen light clips like those before?   Did you custom make them are are they available for sale somewhere?    Might have to reconsider how I do my roof line now.  

Not this year though, lights are already on the roof, not where I'd have really liked them to be, since they don't cover the end of the house facing the street.   Just couldn't get up that high with my current ladder. :(   Wish I could have, maybe next year.  

But I really like that bouncing light effect!

Edited by Orville

13 hours ago, k6ccc said:

HIGHLY recommend that you go with some variety of smart pixels.  I am using about 400 GE Color Effects lights.  For our purposes, cut off the little controller that they come with and  hook them up to a pixel controller.  They are very slightly smaller than a C9 bulb. 

GECE_dual_mounting.jpg

BTW, the reason for the double rows is to allow "bouncing" the lights.  You can see that on the first video on the link below, starting at 2:48.  For that song, the eves lights are essentially static except for the bounces, but each bulb is independently controlled.

http://www.newburghlights.org/Videos.html

Very nice! . How hard is it to hook up a pixel controller to it after you cut the old controller off ? Do you have a picture of this by chance ? 

10 minutes ago, Orville said:

Jim, where did you find those bulb holders to make your "bounce" lights?   That's a neat effect, but I've never seen light clips like those before?   Did you custom make them are are they available for sale somewhere?  

Those are the clips that come with the GE Color Effects lights.  I'm sure the intent is to be able to have the bulb above or below, but I'm using both.  I also modified the clips a little too.  There was a round part that allows clipping over a gutter.  I cut that part off.  BTW, I changed the mounting after one year so that the clips attached to a 1 x 2 rather than directly to the house.

GECE_dual_mounting_end.jpg

8 minutes ago, Platinumcd said:

Very nice! . How hard is it to hook up a pixel controller to it after you cut the old controller off ? Do you have a picture of this by chance ? 

Cut the three wires off the existing controller.  Solder on a few feet of additional wire.  Attach to plugs that connect to controller.

The GE Color Effect  are just one opiton if going with smart c9 pixels.  HolidayCoro sell their version as "Brillantbulbs" and DIYledexpress sell their own version but don't remember what they call them.   $40 or so for strings of 50.  

HollidayCoro also carries some nice c9 mounting strips versus using individual clips.  Both of these are U.S. dealers and both have winter "pre-sales".

As far as pixel controllers, the LOR line ofPixie controlelrs is basically a plug and play options.   They have 4,8 and 16 ouput version where each outlet can handle 100  bulbs, I believe. 

The other option is going the E1.31 route with ethernet cableing which has it's own learning curve but provides much more output cabability. 

Night do a thread title search by "c9" and do some reading.  Sure there will be thread on smart c9's.

• The topic was locked