Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel editor not starting

msteiner57

Having a problem with pixel editor. It will not start. All other programs are ok, just the pixel editor. I am running a windows 10 laptop. I had S5 downloaded and went back to S4, all is ok except for pixel editor. Any help thanks in advance

Uninstall S4.

Delete the folder "c:\program files(x86)\Light-O-Rama" if it is still there.

Probably don't need the registry wipe but consider it an option if you have problems with the re install.

Re-install S4 

If you install the latest version of S4 {version 4.3.36}, it will wipe the registry, as it includes that in the installation file and will let you start over with everything clean in the software. {you don't even need to uninstall the original software, this version takes care of all that!}   It will not {should not} delete your sequences or audio files, just the software itself.   I did that when I moved from an earlier version of S4 to the latest one and it left all my files intact except for the software suite itself.

However, S5 sequences I don't think can be imported back into S4 as they are created with different filenames and parameters, so hopefully you have a backup of sequences from S4 prior to moving to S5.    

If not, any sequence created in S5 will have to be recreated new in S4 again.  

I tried loading an S5 sequence into S4 that I had created when I had my attempt and tried S5, and it wasn't backward compatible, wouldn't load the S5 sequences into S4.

Once you have the newest S4 {again, version 4.3.36} installed, if all drivers are up to date, as well as the FTDI drivers, the PE should load and function.

Edited by Orville

5 hours ago, Orville said:

If you install the latest version of S4 {version 4.3.36}, it will wipe the registry, as it includes that in the installation file and will let you start over with everything clean in the software. {you don't even need to uninstall the original software, this version takes care of all that!}

I think you have misunderstood the release notes for 4.3.36. 

Any time you install any version of the Light-O-Rama software, it will attempt to uninstall the old version first. However, the process will occasionally not work as intended; and when it doesn't we recommend that users uninstall the Light-O-Rama software from the Windows Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs (Apps and Features in Windows 10).

What changed in version 4.3.36 is that the LOR Registry Wipe program, which is not distributed with the rest of the software, has been enhanced to do a better job of cleaning up old program files in case the uninstall process failed to remove them.

Matt

Matt, I wonder if you could clarify the Regwipe situation a little further. 

It has been my understanding that it is version specific, hence the need to request it via the help desk. There are a number of places around the forums and elsewhere where you can find versions of Regwipe, but is a version specific to the software version in use required or are they all basically the same.

You can use always use the most recent version (not just this latest one released, ANY latest version) of the Registry Wipe program on ANY version of our software, all the way back to S2

The registry wipe program is recompiled every time we make a release, and the most recent will always properly work with ANY version.  In this case, older versions of the Registry Wipe program do not attempt to clean up the Program Files entries while the new version does.  

IE You do NOT need to use the 2.9.4 registry wipe because you have 2.9.4 installed.  Use the latest available.

Thanks for the explanation Matt Brown and DevMike. 

The way I read it, yes, I had to misunderstand it.  It read to me like it was now an internal part of 4.3.36, so it looked to me like the "external" software to clean up the registry was no longer needed or required.

Thanks for clearing that up.  Now I know it is not, as I had believed it was internal to 4.3.36.