Light-O-Rama Forums

Lighting just a portion of prop/pixel strip

butlerlj

I'm having a brain fade or just can't find out how to light a portion of a prop using S5 sequencer.  I have a smart pixel strip that I want to, starting at one end of a strip, turn on 1/4 of the strip, for a few seconds, then 1/2, 3/4 onto full.   Can this be done?  I know I use to do it pixel by pixel in sequence editor but now in S5......

Thanks, Larry

I am new to S5, but I believe you can program the pixels the same way you did it in S4.  When you click the + sign next to the prop in the sequence editor, all the pixels become exposed.

22 hours ago, butlerlj said:

I'm having a brain fade or just can't find out how to light a portion of a prop using S5 sequencer.  I have a smart pixel strip that I want to, starting at one end of a strip, turn on 1/4 of the strip, for a few seconds, then 1/2, 3/4 onto full.   Can this be done?  I know I use to do it pixel by pixel in sequence editor but now in S5......

Thanks, Larry

I am not an S5 user however all you should have to do is put a sequence in the time frame (cells) you wish to turn on.

It may also depend on which controller you are using for your pixels but I may be wrong on that.

Hopefully this helps a little.

JR

If you are using the Motion Effect Generator:

1) Choose your effect on the left side (colorwash or any other)

2) In the middle section, set the mix to "Mix_Left_Right", then adjust the slider below for the desired amount of coverage on your prop.

3) If you want to fill from the right instead of the left, then click the swap sides button.

Matt

• Like 1

On 10/3/2018 at 10:14 AM, butlerlj said:

Thanks, Larry

Thanks Matt, that did the trick. I failed to mention my strips are vertical so in the mixer I selected Mix_Bottom_Top

On 10/7/2018 at 10:50 PM, butlerlj said:

Thanks Matt, that did the trick. I failed to mention my strips are vertical so in the mixer I selected Mix_Bottom_Top

You can also add motion effect rows that will separate the strings into sections. So if you want the string to be in 8 sections (great effect for an arch) right click on the prop, click on add/modify motion effect rows, then choose subdivide.

SPaschall

Thanks SPaschall, 

I have this vertical strip set as a "firestick" prop and wonder if this is the best choice for type of prop.

Larry

4 hours ago, butlerlj said:

Thanks SPaschall, 

I have this vertical strip set as a "firestick" prop and wonder if this is the best choice for type of prop.

Larry

Depends on what you are trying to achieve, if you are just using one strip you could use a closed line or a vertical matrix with only one strand.

SPaschall

l have four verticals at the corners of the house, each about 25 feet apart from the other.  Thought about but not tried yet to set up a vertical matrix with the four verticals, but being that far apart not sure how any transitions from one vertical to the next will look. I will have to play with it in preview. My other thought was to set the four verticals as a group and try some effects that way. I already set up few groups, one with my dumb rgb only, running along the roof line, one with dumb rgb and the four smart strip verticals and one with smart pixels only which include the verticals along with bushes and shrubs. So many options so little time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas.

Larry

15 hours ago, butlerlj said:

My other thought was to set the four verticals as a group and try some effects that way.

I would recommend 4 separate verticals and then create a group containing the 4 of them (arrangement=horizontal stack).

That way you can easily sequence them separately if desired, or as a group. This also makes them easier to position within the preview.

Matt

Thanks so much for all the ideas. After moving from S3 last year to S5 and PE this year sequence creation is more fun than chore.