Light-O-Rama Forums

Early Christmas Gone Wrong for Dying Boy

dibblejr

SMH Were released to their parents, but yet arrested around 3 a.m.... that just tells me the parents are the problem.......

lack of respect for other people's property on top of parents not being parents when the kids are able to sneak out middle of the night. In this day in age we have security systems, door alarms and cameras. My kids don't make a move in middle of the night without me knowing what's going on. Call it helicopter parenting but I call it knowing what's going on as a parent. Now if I would have been the parent I would have told him good keep them there for a few days. I would have refused to pick them up until late the next day. Make them learn a harsh lesson.

And being that they're teenagers and will probably get off with a slap on the wrist, the judge should make them go volunteer at a childrens hospital for the next YEAR with community service hours and not no 20 or 40 either, more like 500+ hours. Since the kids parents inconvenienced the community by not taking care of their kids, maybe those 500 hours that they have to take their kids to, will inconvenience the parents as well..... I couldn't be a judge. I wouldn't baby anyone!!!

Edited by GriswoldStyle
  • Like 1

I just put out screenshots of the Articles and a back story on my Instagram page (Lightuptheholidays) to help spread the word for those in the lighting Community to try to get in touch with this family to put on a display like no other. I understand it's crunch time for most of us but anyone in that area this is the childs last chance of seeing any of this. If anyone in the area can help this weekend or next weekend whatever please try to get in touch with that family or the news stations since obviously they know where the family lives and contact them to put on a show for them. this story is a real tear-jerker for me and I truly wish I had the finances to go to Cincinnati right now but sadly we just do not at this time. but I put a post up trying to encourage others to share it as well to get the word out so hopefully this little boy's family can see the generosity and the love in the lighting community.

Edited by GriswoldStyle
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

SMH Were released to their parents, but yet arrested around 3 a.m.... that just tells me the parents are the problem.......

lack of respect for other people's property on top of parents not being parents when the kids are able to sneak out middle of the night. In this day in age we have security systems, door alarms and cameras. My kids don't make a move in middle of the night without me knowing what's going on. Call it helicopter parenting but I call it knowing what's going on as a parent. Now if I would have been the parent I would have told him good keep them there for a few days. I would have refused to pick them up until late the next day. Make them learn a harsh lesson.

And being that they're teenagers and will probably get off with a slap on the wrist, the judge should make them go volunteer at a childrens hospital for the next YEAR with community service hours and not no 20 or 40 either, more like 500+ hours. Since the kids parents inconvenienced the community by not taking care of their kids, maybe those 500 hours that they have to take their kids to, will inconvenience the parents as well..... I couldn't be a judge. I wouldn't baby anyone!!!

Yes, I agree with community service to a Childrens Hospital. It may give them a new perspective in life. 

This day and age the parental punishment that used to take place would land a parent in jail. "Spare the rod, Spoil the Child" ~ Samuel Butler

Yep, I have all of those goodies to keep the bad guys out and the good guys in. But my back up plan for the bad guys is to give them some led poisoning should they get in my home. 

JR

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GriswoldStyle said:

I just put out screenshots of the Articles and a back story on my Instagram page (Lightuptheholidays) to help spread the word for those in the lighting Community to try to get in touch with this family to put on a display like no other. I understand it's crunch time for most of us but anyone in that area this is the child last chance of seeing any of this. If anyone in the area can help this weekend or next weekend whatever please try to get in touch with that family or the new stations since obviously they know where the family lives and contact them to put on a show for them. this story is a real tear-jerker for me and I truly wish I had the finances to go to Cincinnati right now but sadly we just do not at this time. but I put a post up trying to encourage others to share it as well to get the word out so hopefully this little boy's family can see the generosity and the love in the lighting community.

In 2016 I assisted another member here with a singing face request. It was only after the little girl passed that I was told it was for her viewing. The hospital took her to watch the light show from their bus.

JR

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

In 2016 I assisted another member here with a singing face request. It was only after the little girl passed that I was told it was for her viewing. The hospital took her to watch the light show from their bus.

JR

There is a woman who has a son with autism and she uses our show to bribe him to eat his dinner. She tells him if he doesn't eat then no show and she brings him every night. They are usually sitting out there when I go to start the show and they watch the entire show, 1hour, 20 minutes, every night. She told me it also calms him down and asked if we could run it year round.  ?

49 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

This day and age the parental punishment that used to take place would land a parent in jail. "Spare the rod, Spoil the Child" ~ Samuel Butler

And there IMHO is three quarters of the problem.  The kids grow up knowing that Mom and Dad CAN'T punish them.  Therefore, there are no consequences of them being bad.  And people wonder why the kids run wild...

1 hour ago, GriswoldStyle said:

lack of respect for other people's property on top of parents not being parents when the kids are able to sneak out middle of the night. In this day in age we have security systems, door alarms and cameras. My kids don't make a move in middle of the night without me knowing what's going on.

You wanna bet?  Unless you massively invade privacy, or turn your house into a prison (neither of which can you get away with), I guarantee that teenage kids can get out of most houses without their parents knowing about it in the middle of the night.  Now, you MAY be able to confirm that it happened after the fact, but most of us don't have time to watch hours of video just to see IF something happened. 

Now, with that said, I fully agree that there are parents that are the problem, but there are LOTs of parents that are horrified to find out what their kids did.

And being that they're teenagers and will probably get off with a slap on the wrist, the judge should make them go volunteer at a childrens hospital for the next YEAR with community service hours and not no 20 or 40 either, more like 500+ hours.

Unfortunately likely true.  Probably would not be able to get a 500 hour of CS, but it would be nice.

Since the kids parents inconvenienced the community by not taking care of their kids, maybe those 500 hours that they have to take their kids to, will inconvenience the parents as well.....

You are assuming that the parents are the problem.  If you can prove that the parents are just letting the kids run wild is one thing, but that is generally NOT the case.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

There is a woman who has a son with autism and she uses our show to bribe him to eat his dinner. She tells him if he doesn't eat then no show and she brings him every night. They are usually sitting out there when I go to start the show and they watch the entire show, 1hour, 20 minutes, every night. She told me it also calms him down and asked if we could run it year round.  ?

They could watch it year round. Just record it and she can connect it to their tv monitor. Problem solved. LOL

You just never know who you touch with lights. Its the few times a year when most communities may come together.

JR

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

You wanna bet?  Unless you massively invade privacy, or turn your house into a prison (neither of which can you get away with), I guarantee that teenage kids can get out of most houses without their parents knowing about it in the middle of the night.  Now, you MAY be able to confirm that it happened after the fact, but most of us don't have time to watch hours of video just to see IF something happened. 

Now, with that said, I fully agree that there are parents that are the problem, but there are LOTs of parents that are horrified to find out what their kids did

You are assuming that the parents are the problem.  If you can prove that the parents are just letting the kids run wild is one thing, but that is generally NOT the case.

completely understand there are cases where parents are not the problem at all but sadly in our state parents 99% of the time or the problem. they are too caught up in social media, partying or in some cases the parents bully worse than the kids do nowadays around our state. You see it on the news all the time. Then you have the drugs and the drinking type. Sadly there's been four families in our neighborhood alone that had their kids taken away because their kids used to run the streets at night and I'm not just talking about just teens, I'm talking about 10-15 year old kids because the parents would go out to the bar or go hang out with friends instead of being parents at night. it's not all parents but around here sadly most of them just don't want to parent. Sorry if it sounded like I was attacking all parents just the gravity of the situation frustrated me.. I see that around here all the time and most of the times it ends up being the parents that just won't parent their kids. Then there's 5 year olds walking around with mouths worse than mine. And trust me I have a very bad potty mouth sometimes especially when I do something unexpected with my light display when I'm putting it up lol. 

But on a side note, I do take that back I didn't mean it as all parents are the problem. In most of the cases that automatically comes to mind.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

I have three boys all of which I think i did a pretty good job raising. They all grew up around military bases so I expected discipline, they all got a beating when they deserved a beating and I didn't care what others said. Two are married and have families of their own, I now get to say I told you so. The youngest who is 24 is still single but doing well on his own. To this day I still tell him I will knock him out if he smarts off.

(The 'You' I speak of in the following is not any poster or even member.  It is a collective of everyone in the world)

Please allow me to point out that it may not be kids getting worse, it is you getting older.  You consume much more media as you grow from child to adult.  After learning your place in this cosmos is so small as to not amount to a hill of beans, you need a way to cope.  Things were never this bad as a child, and now it seems the world is caving in.  You need something to blame.

I don't mean that as a slight to any of you.  Just that many times it's our perspective that has changed, not the world. 

99.9999% of the people out (including kids) out there are good caring helpful people.   

There are ALWAYS going to be jerks out there.  News coverage is about the exceptions, not the rules.  Those kids are jerks and they only make YOU a jerk if you allow them to stop YOU from doing nice things.  Instead, move on.  Focus on the good.

My fall to example has always been Halloween.  Listen to your fellow adults -- You'll hear stories that all sound the same:  "When we were kids, we never had to worry about the candy being handed out.  Today, you can't be to careful and have to inspect EVERYTHING!  There are just SO MANY SICKOS out there now!"

Fact:  No one has EVER been poisoned or harmed by a random stranger giving out candy.  Have there been poisonings and harm?  Yes - and all were either pranks perpetrated by the person claiming harm OR real harm that was caused by a person known or related.  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/halloween-non-poisonings/

So here's the deal folks:  There are ALWAYS going to be a certain percentage of bad people in this world.  That certain percentage is going to exist regardless of parentage, media coverage, financial standing, whatever.  Until proven otherwise rest assured that the percentage of jerks today is at most equal to the number of jerks yesterday, last year, last decade, last lifetime.   People are not getting WORSE, your perspective is simply changing to a place where jerks take a more central roll.   

The great thing about a poor perspective is:  YOU CAN CHANGE IT!  Let's focus on the real story here:  The good done by the people of that neighborhood.  The good done by strangers.  The compassion and sympathy you can give the parents.  The energy you consume being mad at parents of jerks, or the jerks themselves, is much better spent on doing good.  For your own soul, do something good instead of complaining.  It feels nice :).  Change your perspective - like sharing a smile with someone, it costs nothing.

[FYI:  In all actuality, it is my firm belief that the number of jerks is actually DECREASING.  Crime statistics show that  up until the 1990s, violent crime in the USA was on the INCREASE.  Since that time, it has SHARPLY decreased.  Assuming that most crime is committed by young adults, kids of today and the kids of those kids, are actually committing LESS crime than the kids of my (or older) generations.  It is decidedly hard to convince people that things are the same, let alone BETTER.

Side Bar - Why the sharp drop in crime?  Interestingly enough, I believe that the reduction/elimination of lead from auto gas is responsible for that.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead-crime_hypothesis.  It had nothing to do with better parents, it had to do with not poisoning ourselves.]

I have been in law enforcement for 18 years. I deal with the type of people we are talking about in this story on a daily basis. As far as kids acting out and getting into trouble I would say that 90% if not more are following in the footsteps of their parents. The majority of people I deal with have children who end up just like the parents and have many dealings with the police. IMHO parentage has everything to do with whether or not the children will be nothing but trouble later in life. Children learn from what they see and what their parents do. Now that's not to say that every child who is raised properly by their parents turn out good. Unfortunately that isn't always the case. I am also not saying that all kids who have bad parents turn out like their parents. There are a few who make something of their life and break the mold. But the truth of it is those are very few and far between. Broken homes do not help the situation either and there are far more broken homes than in times past. I did not come from a broken home. I was blessed with the parents I had but I had a reverent fear of my father. I knew if I did something wrong I had to answer to him and he almost always brought something with him (a belt if needed).

Anyway we will all have different opinions as to why people do what they do. There will always be good and there will always be bad. The bad for me is what I call job security.

Thanks, Eric

• Thanks 1

• The topic was locked