Light-O-Rama Forums

Why 44 red, 21 green and 21 blue?

Brad

I'm not sure where to put this question, general decorating or DMX. I've looked at doing a color changing Tombstone with a white lexon/plastic front, aluminium frame, and a coroplast backing so I can poke red, green, and blue lights through. In looking a the Chauvet jr Spot it has 44 red, 21 green, and 21 blue lights.

My questions are...

Is that a standard proportion mix of these lights for certain colors? The spot is basically made up of 50% red lights, 25% green and 25% blue. I assume if I set my channel intensity for red to 25%, green to 20% and blue to 15% I would get color "X".

If I were to use 50 of each color lights in my tombstones (instead of the 44,21,21 proportion) would that equate to different intensity settings. Would setting red to 25%, green to 20% and blue to 15% still get me color "X" or would it be a different color because there are more green and blue lights in the mix. Would I have to lower the intensities for for the green and blue to get the same color "X"?

I believe the answer is that it depends on your particular LED's. Generally it takes twice as many red led's to create balanced color, where adding identical percentages of R, G, & B result in an intensity of white...

- Kevin