Light-O-Rama Forums

Canadian L-O-R buyers

Guest guest

Just wondering, those who bought, did you have any duty to pay? Did you have to pay or use a brokerage fee? Know what I mean?

Just getting mentally and financially prepared!!

Hi Spike,

When ordering specify Postal service shipping, it is a bit slower but you avoid the brokerage fee that the couriers charge.

I have never paid duty, others may have when shipped postal. But about 50% of the time I pay GST/PST + $5 handling fee. Usually have Mary declare the value about half of what you really paid, this helps a little bit on the taxes.

hope that helps

Doug C.

Doug Chambers wrote:

Hi Spike,

When ordering specify Postal service shipping, it is a bit slower but you avoid the brokerage fee that the couriers charge.

I have never paid duty, others may have when shipped postal. But about 50% of the time I pay GST/PST + $5 handling fee. Usually have Mary declare the value about half of what you really paid, this helps a little bit on the taxes.

hope that helps

Doug C.

Don't forget Doug, you can always stop down at your favorite duty free shop a little South of Buffalo, to pick up your order!;)

Greg

Hello

Sometimes you can get the seller to mark gift on it and what is worth lower than the original price .I usually do this when I purchase on E-Bay a few do it some don't.I agree with Spike go postal you save on duty charges as courriers charge a hefty brokerage fee to collect the duty.

P.S.postal charge around $5 plus duty much cheaper than others

I paid 40$ US on one CTB 16D... So I really don't know. I am going all out next christmas and will be ordering 15 16ch cards and 5 8ch cards so hopefully no duties..

Zac

Thanks people!

I know when researching to buy our pond equipment, it was a 50$ brokerage fee, up to 200#, and delivered to my door. About the only good thing with NAFTA;), there's no duty on 'Made in USA' stuff. (all done and told, surprisingly, it will still be way cheaper to buy our pond stuff from our southern neighbors!:cool:)

Dave

Dave,

How do you go about doing that wiuth a broker? I cannot afford duties on my upcoming order and 50$ is nothing! How are you doing this and what company etc.

Thanks!

Zac

Hi Zac,

Look up 'custom(s) broker' in theyellow pages, give them a call.

Here's an example of my pond situation:

The equipment I'm looking at (50-75% cheaper us$), the company ships free in the US. They ship it to my broker's (Pacific Customs Brokers) warehouse, which is just across the border, in the US. They take care of all the paperwork etc.. Then they'll deliver the stuff to my door. Cost? 50$ for their service (items 200# or less), plus any taxes and duty. In this case, no duty as it is US made--but proof of US made may be required. In my situation here, I would still be saving 100's$, all done and told!!

About duty, call Canada Customs and they'll explain what is or isn't duty free, probably the brokerage company could also tell you about duty.

Dave--happy to make his first contribution to PC!:waycool:

I do believe Dan has some future idea on distribution rights. From what I understand from past post there will be people around the world who will have the right to distribute his product. Hopefully there will be one in Canada for 2006.

I'm just having mine delivered to the outlaws house in Michigan, then I'll just go over and visit them for about 5 minutes:?, then bring it back over. USUALLY, they ( at the boarder)just say..go ahead...have a nice day.... the worst I'll have to do is pay the GST :{

Ken Gelinas

KLG 28