Light-O-Rama Forums

Scheduling for specific date with MP3 director

tophkissane

I used to control my unit using a PC and a combination of the weekly schedule and the yearly schedule to alter the schedule on holidays. Since transitioning to the MP3 director I have not been able to schedule for specific dates ahead of time, I would edit the schedule for the week. Is there a way to set an event for a specific date on the MP3 director?

No. The Showtime Director only does day of the week. It has no ability to tell what day of the month (or month) it is.

• Thanks 1

Depends on what one considers "Good"

If the schedule changes weekly, the change out the SD card weekly. That's about the only solution there is.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As Don says, you'll have to change out your SD Card either weekly, monthly or daily depending on what you want to run and on what date.   I used to use an MP3 Director when I first started and when I finally used my computer, I realized it's actually better to have a dedicated show computer, that is the only and easiest way to do what you're wanting to do.  

Now if LOR comes up with a new S6 software and a new Generation 4 MP3 Director that you can set specific dates and times on, then maybe.   But I think that'd be more than what can be put into the firmware in an MP3 Director to handle that kind of load. 

I could be wrong, but I just don't see MP3 Directors with this capability anytime within the near future.   

Although I could be wrong, we never know what those sneaky LOR folks may be working on for us for next year.  We'll just have to wait and see if that ever happens.

But honestly, I don't think there's been much call for that option in an MP3 Director unit, because most of us use a laptop or PC for our shows if we want more specific control of things, like specific dates for something to run.

Edited by Orville

I've never understood the desire to use a director to run a show.  A perfectly capable computer for playing a show can be had for less cost than the lowest end director, and by using a computer, you get FAR more control and flexibility.  Changes and testing that are a piece of cake on a computer are not practical or possible with a director.  What tophkissane wants to do is dirt simple if using a computer to run the show.  About the only advantage of the director is the power draw from a director is less than a PC.

With remote control software (such as VNC or TeamViewer), you can even change a show remotely.  For example a few years ago when there was a terrorist incident in Paris and then President Obama ordered US flags to half staff, I remoted into my show computer from work and quickly created a static landscaping sequence with the colors of the French flag.  Then created a show with that one sequence and set that show to run for the next few nights.  Took less than 15 minutes.  About the only thing I could not do remotely was lower my flags to half staff - for that I had to call my son and have him do it.

Why Jim, you don't have any Servo's set up to lower your flag in case of having to lower it or raise it back up?   I thought you had it ALL covered. :PB):D

6 minutes ago, Orville said:

Why Jim, you don't have any Servo's set up to lower your flag in case of having to lower it or raise it back up?   I thought you had it ALL covered. :PB):D

No.