Light-O-Rama Forums

USB485B Adapter

Wayne K

I have been using a USB485B adapter ever since I started with LOR. The reason I continue to use this, is that it has 2 RJ45 ports on it and I have 1 port going to the north side of the house and the other port goes to the south side of the house.

Can I use a high speed adapter and take that into a switch and then go to my controllers? I would like to get away from the usb485 adapter.

Forgot to ask, which is better to use the USB-R485 or the USB-R485-HS

Thanks

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K

Thanks for the info Don

So is the USB485B still a good adapter? I was thinking since I am up to 18 controllers that I might want to look at a different adapter and since the summer sale is on I decided to ask a few questions. I need to maintain 2 circuits or outputs as described above so I don't have cords going over my sidewalk.

Can you run 2 single adapters in a setup as I have described?

Thanks for any additional info

Wayne

22 minutes ago, Wayne K said:

Thanks for the info Don

So is the USB485B still a good adapter? I was thinking since I am up to 18 controllers that I might want to look at a different adapter and since the summer sale is on I decided to ask a few questions. I need to maintain 2 circuits or outputs as described above so I don't have cords going over my sidewalk.

Thanks for any additional info

Wayne

I have 2  - 6 port hubs. I use 10 networks.

Depending on your controllers I don't think 18 will max you out but it never hurts to split them if you have USB ports available.

I use only the res adapters. If you are gonna shell out cash for one it may as well be the red one. Also its good to have a spare. You never know.

JR

1 hour ago, Wayne K said:

Yes it is - particularly if you need the Boost part (usually that means to power a ELL).  Note that it is NOT rated for 500K or 1000K speed networks.   I assume you are using the one USB485B adapter with both outputs, but everything on your "Regular" LOR network.  Yes, you could create a second network (presumably AuxA) and move some of your controllers over to it using a second USB485 adapter.  I know some people are scared of running two or more networks, but there is almost nothing to it.  I run two year round and add a third for Christmas.  And that's in addition to E1.31 year round.

1 hour ago, Wayne K said:

Yes.

As JR suggested, if you are ordering an addition adapter, I recommend the Red High Speed ones.  Especially in the sale, there is only a dollar difference in price.  I also recommend as JR did to have a spare.  It is one of the most critical items in running your show.

I personally wish LOR would get rid of the black ones and just use the red, there would be less confusion since the red works for everything anyways.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I personally wish LOR would get rid of the black ones and just use the red, there would be less confusion since the red works for everything anyways.

+1

Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and ordered 3 red adapters and will create another network.

Wayne

On 8/23/2018 at 7:21 PM, k6ccc said:

If you run into any questions about splitting the networks, feel free to ask.

Ok, here is my first question. I started to look at the networks. I will be running 2 networks now. So do I leave one side on the regular network and then add aux A for the second network? Or do I do away with regular network and then have an aux A and aux B network or does it not make any difference as long as they are different?

Thanks

Wayne

There is no difference between the names.  You can use any network that you want.  Since most people started with Regular, that generally becomes the first one, and then additional ones become AuxA, AuxB, etc.  But there is no need to go in any particular order.  In my case, my Regular network is only used for an InputPup.  It's the only thing that is not on an Enhanced network (since inputs can not detected on an Enhanced network).  AuxA is used for all of the LOR controllers that are used year round and this year one for Christmas.  AuxB is exclusively used for Christmas - through last year, only my six strings of Cosmic Color Pixels, but five additional controllers this year.

Don’t forget when you add a network to remember to set the comm port correctly and set the speed as needed for the controllers.

JR

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 7:54 PM, dibblejr said:

Don’t forget when you add a network to remember to set the comm port correctly and set the speed as needed for the controllers.

JR

JR

Not sure by what you mean to set comm port correctly. Right now I have been trying stuff on my garage computer as I don't have mt show computer running right now. I have added 2 networks and used aux a on com port 1 and aux b on comm port 2. They are working with default settings, What should I change in the settings?

Also I have converted 1 of my sequences over to the 2 network setup. So if I export the channel config and import it into my other sequences, will it change all of the network stuff to aux a  and aux b that I setup in the original sequence ?

Thanks
Wayne

39 minutes ago, Wayne K said:

JR

Not sure by what you mean to set comm port correctly. Right now I have been trying stuff on my garage computer as I don't have mt show computer running right now. I have added 2 networks and used aux a on com port 1 and aux b on comm port 2. They are working with default settings, What should I change in the settings?

Also I have converted 1 of my sequences over to the 2 network setup. So if I export the channel config and import it into my other sequences, will it change all of the network stuff to aux a  and aux b that I setup in the original sequence ?

Thanks
Wayne

Go to Network Preferences.

Under the LOR tab you should see your networks, port, speed, comments and enhanced. It should look like an old spreadsheet. If it does not appear as an old spreadsheet simply click on "advanced" on the right side. Now it should appear as mentioned.

Since you mentioned above you are only using Aux A and Aux B networks you do not need anything in the LOR Regular network however ensure for aux A and aux B everything is as it should be. For regular AC controllers speed 57.6K and the comm port needs to be correct. For anything running at 500K enhanced just ensure that is ticked on whatever network you have such a controller.

Note GEN1 & 2 will not work with 500K enhanced network controllers.

Not knowing what controllers or qty that's the best I can give you.

You can keep your original configuration and just add a new network and assign re assign the controllers to the new network for less confusion 

JR

3 minutes ago, Wayne K said:

JR

Thanks for the info I have some gen 1 and gen 2 controllers, So, I have set my speed to the 57.6K

Hopefully for only the Gen 1 and 2's

You cannot connect (and get to work) anything need 500K or 500K enhanced. You may damage something.

JR

33 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

You cannot connect (and get to work) anything need 500K or 500K enhanced. You may damage something.

It won't damage anything, it just won't work.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

It won't damage anything, it just won't work.

I had read somewhere it may damage the first gen pixies because they don’t have the protection. I never tested it though

JR

The electrical interface (RS-485) is the same between the different data rates and also between enhanced vs non-enhanced networks, so there is nothing to "protect".  However an older controller just won't know how to handle higher speed or enhanced networking.  Similar to a phone call with someone speaking a language that you don't understand.  Go ahead, talk to me in Chinese all you want - I won't understand a word of what you said.

With that said, it might be interesting to try a Pixie controller at 115K speed.  Will it really not understand it, or is the 500K "requirement" listed only because driving anything larger than a Pixel 4 would hopelessly overload a slower circuit?  I don't know and have no way to test as I have no Pixie controllers...