Light-O-Rama Forums

RS422 Question

Guest guest

Greetings to all .. this may be a Dan specific question... like he needs more chaos .. LOL ..

Anyway .. here goes... If you had say a measurement Computing CIO 422/450 W/16550 UART card in a PC (This is a 422/450 Serial card), would LOR recognize and use it without the 422 Dongle? This particular card can be configured as COM1-4

Why would I want to do this ?? I wouldnt .. I have a dongle .. but its Friday .. I'm at work .. and bored .. and it sounded like an interesting question.

-- Bob

I believe that if you can map to the normal comm. ports, RS-422 will look identical to RS-232 on the PC side. I believe that RS-422 is the same a RS-232 with a compliment to each I/O line. All inputs would look like an AND gate with on input line inverted, similar to an OP Amp.

So Ernie .. is that a definate ... maybe ??? :laughing::laughing:

Questions like this is what I get from boredom searching Ebay .. I found the RS422 board (pretty cheap too) and it just made me wonder.

Once again .. its Friday .. I'm still bored ..

-- Bob

Bob,

I don't know if these will help you out any, but a friend just dropped of a couple of Black Box 232 <->422/485 converters. The original part number is IC107A-R3.

Please let me know if you can use them. If not I will just either store them or throw them out.

,Randy

Bob_Moody wrote:

Greetings to all .. this may be a Dan specific question... like he needs more chaos .. LOL ..

Anyway .. here goes... If you had say a measurement Computing CIO 422/450 W/16550 UART card in a PC (This is a 422/450 Serial card), would LOR recognize and use it without the 422 Dongle? This particular card can be configured as COM1-4

Why would I want to do this ?? I wouldnt .. I have a dongle .. but its Friday .. I'm at work .. and bored .. and it sounded like an interesting question.

-- Bob

Yeah, I get that way, too. How about this for a nightmare-ish thought! I have a 'computer on a chip' board that has a RS-485 com port and 11 DIO bits.

One guess what first went through my mind while looking at the thing trying to find a use for it....

• 2 weeks later...

I've never tried it, but I've thought about it before, and I see no reason why it wouldn't work. The 422/485 board will appear as a COM port on the PC, which you could assign LOR to, just like a 232 port would.