Light-O-Rama Forums

ooops moment - fried controller

ukoberon

Checking out my hardware ready for this year and remembered an issue i caused last year by incorrectly wiring a V4 CTB16PC . Having used the controllers for a while, when i took this one new out of the box i wired from the Hot Jump to the Hot input - when i think it should have been hot jump to hot jump on this board..... Result was that i have a new board that no longer works as a result of my wiring up wrong.

There is very little visible damage to the board - but there is damage to the bottom right as can be seen. I have tried changing fuses on the board but this hasnt got me going again ? . Any suggestions as to what i can do or is the board now a geeky coffee cup stand??

lor5.jpg

lor6.jpg

Hot JUMP - Hot jump is a jumper to power the second bank from a single Mains cord

(and you need to install a Neutral Jump - Neutral Jump in the centre)

The feed should be Hot (brown wire) and Neutral (Blue wire)

You may have only fried the trace between the fuse and the Hot Jump terminal (which may include power to the rest of the board)

Download the CTB16PCg3 Mechanical Assembly guide  (see P9)

22 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Hot JUMP - Hot jump is a jumper to power the second bank from a single Mains cord

(and you need to install a Neutral Jump - Neutral Jump in the centre)

The feed should be Hot (brown wire) and Neutral (Blue wire)

You may have only fried the trace between the fuse and the Hot Jump terminal (which may include power to the rest of the board)

Download the CTB16PCg3 Mechanical Assembly guide  (see P9)

Thanks The Ducks, i knew i had wired it wrong whenafter i did it - previous boards had hot jump to hot input on bank two - but this changed with V4 board. I had the neutral loop jump in place . Mains power into bank 1 neutral into bank 1 neutrals and hot jump across to bank 2 but connected it to Hot input instead of hot jump. This is what i think caused the issue.

So how do i repair a fried trace between the fuse and Hot Jump terminal ? You can see from the pics where the trace has burnt - not sure how to repair that element - pitty the fuse didnt blow before the trace

5 hours ago, ukoberon said:

Thanks The Ducks, i knew i had wired it wrong whenafter i did it - previous boards had hot jump to hot input on bank two - but this changed with V4 board. I had the neutral loop jump in place . Mains power into bank 1 neutral into bank 1 neutrals and hot jump across to bank 2 but connected it to Hot input instead of hot jump. This is what i think caused the issue.

So how do i repair a fried trace between the fuse and Hot Jump terminal ? You can see from the pics where the trace has burnt - not sure how to repair that element - pitty the fuse didnt blow before the trace

solder a piece of solid copper wire. 16-14 AWG (sorry I don't have the UK mm wire sizes in my head. must handle 15A). Just keep it tight to the board so not to interfere with the Faston or fuse seating

• Like 1