Light-O-Rama Forums

How to define prop for tree shaped like a globe

stevehoyt

Hi

I have a tree that is pruned in the shape of a 25 high foot globe. I have decided to convert it to RGB this year. I most likely will use the 16x50 RGB Bulb package. Given its position in relation to the house, I expect to have 3 strings that go up then over a bit and then down i.e. a 25 foot section folded in half. That would cover about  a 90 degree wedge. For  the next 180 degree wedge, I will have a 13 single strings of 25 feet go from bottom to top. The back 90 degree wedge will have no lights as it can not be seen.

So now to my questions. I looked at the "Globe 8 row option" in S5 and it appears to specific to a superstar prop.

I have played with other options Trees, matrixes etc. It appears that the best option appears to be to define 2 matrixes. One of 3 strings folded in half, and another of 13 strings. 

For programming I would then need to group them together.

Before I embark on programming all this, I thought I would ask if anyone knew of a better way to create a prop for this application.

Thanks

Steve

If there is a better option than the bulbs I would be open to hearing that too. I don't think square pixels or the bullet pixels would work. I want to stay with LOR stuff only.

Steve,

I'm having trouble creating a picture in my mind of what you are proposing.  Is there any way you could sketch something and post it here? Sounds like a great project!

Matt

Sorry for the confusing description....let me give it another shot.

Basically I am wondering if we could get the spherical shape to have some more flexibility.

In my case. think of a tree that has a 10 foot trunk. On top of the trunk,  the tree has been pruned to be a 25 foot diameter ball. An analogy might be a golf ball on top of a tee. 

For my tree, then divide the "ball" on top into 4 sections, each 25 feet high from bottom to top. The back 90 degree section is against my house and does not need lights. Moving to the left the next 90 degree section is partially blocked so only the top 12.5 can be seen and reed bulbs. For that section, I plan on using a 50 bulb strand of CCBs that go up 12.5 feet  then over to the right a few inches and back down. I will use 3 strings this way. The remaining 2 90 degree sections will have a full string starting at the bottom and going to the top vertically and spaced every few inches next to each other.

I currently have it defined a 2 side by side vertical  matrixes. I matrix is 3 strings with one fold per string The second is a 13 string matrix starting at the bottom no folds. I then grouped the 2 together for programming.

What I would like though is to actually see the spherical shape in my preview.

I have attached a very rough sketch below. Let me know if you have any further questions

Thanks

Steve

Scan.jpeg

Steve,

I don't know if this will help. Here is how I built a Barrel Prop, it could be made into a circle with a little modification.

Alan...

I don't I talked about in the original post, but I created my prop preview as single lines in S4 Visualizer, then used ItsMeBobo's Sharpen program to bend the lines to the radius I wanted, then imported the entire prop into S5 for a preview. Now that S5 allows props to be shared I can post copy if you want do deconstruct to see how I did it.

Alan...

Thanks Matt

Hopefully it will be of use to others too...

Thanks Default too....looks like Matt has taken care of it.

a quick question......

I know you can't commit to when the next release will be, so I am wondering the best way to proceed with programming until the new sphere will be available.

Currently as I mentioned above, I am simulating what I need by defining 2 matrixes which I have grouped together. As I will move to one prop rather than 2, after the next release, should I delete one of the matrixes and just use it? Another option would be to delete one matrix and use the current sphere available.

In any case, to avoid having to do a bunch of reprogramming, when I no longer need 2 props and grouping would you agree one of the 2 options above is best.

Thanks

Steve

You are still going to need 2 props - one for the section with folded strings and the other for strings without folds. You will need to group them together just like the 2 matrices you have now. So stick with what you've got.

Matt