Light-O-Rama Forums

Cable and enclosures

racerc20

Where is everyone ordering 3 wire pixel wire and enclosures from. Thought i had enough now not so sure.

Carl

1 hour ago, racerc20 said:

Where is everyone ordering 3 wire pixel wire and enclosures from. Thought i had enough now not so sure.

Carl

I took advantage of the spring sale at Holiday coro for enclosures (CG-1500). I also use their 3 and 4 core cables.

FWIW Pick a brand for connectorized cables and plan on sticking with that. many are NOT interchangable

Edited by TheDucks

For the most part, I am using two conductor SPT-1 for pixel wires.  For three conductors, I just one cable and split another one and tie wrap it once in a while.  Or if there are two pixel strings at the same location, I use three cables - Power and ground for one string on one cable, power and ground for the other string on the second cable, and both data lines an the third cable.

As for enclosures, I only have a couple that are outside.  The E682 for my Pixel tree is in an 8x8x8 PVC electrical box on the back side of the tree behind the star.  The power supply is in the attic.

2014_Top_of_strips-back.jpg

The E6804 along with a couple CMB16D controllers and an InputPup are permanently mounted inside one of my brick columns.  A E682 is inside the other brick column, along with the power supply.

DC_column.jpg   DC_column_right.jpg

Another E6804 is mounted inside a 6x6x4 PVC electrical box - it can be seen in the photo below against the wall near the far right edge of the photo.  It has now been painted white to blend in better.  The power supply for this one is in my bedroom closet - there is a conduit path between the two.

2014_2_arches.jpg

Thanks i built a matrix 20x48 and am using a pixie16 and a pixie4 gonna sequence the channels accordingly i plan on putting the powersupplies and controllers within 6 feet if i hang it.  Need either one box big enough or 2 seperate was going to use 2 30a 5v psupplies

Check out the BUD Industries Enclosures on Amazon.   Very spacious enclosures at a reasonable price.  I use a bunch of this enclosure with no complaints.   https://www.amazon.com/BUD-Industries-NBF-32026-Plastic-Economy/dp/B005T94MQU/ref=sr_1_4?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1530998918&sr=1-4&refinements=p_89%3ABUD+Industries

• Like 1

I use 16/4 burial speaker wire I find on Ebay or Amazon.  Just stay away from copper clad aluminum.  I also use connectors from DIY Holiday Express for some of my props.  CG1500's hold my power supplies and controllers.

2 hours ago, Little_b said:

Just stay away from copper clad aluminum.  

I have saw this mentioned in a few posts. Just curious What is the difference in it? I'm still learning about this stuff so if someone can explain in more detail this might help others in the future understand the pro's and cons.

From what I understand dealing with pixels is a different ball game then dealing with dumb RGB where CC is concerned. Is this correct? I'm still trying to learn more details about this stuff so bear with me if that question sounds stupid.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

I use Bud enclosures and have recently used MTM Ammo crates. As far as cables, i use Paul Zhang or Ray Wu. Even with shipping from China you will spend way less then you would ,from Holiday Coro. I however can not and never never will recommend DIYLedexpress. They dont back their product and will find a way to blame you if something goes wrong with your stuff.

CCA wire is usually cheaper and lighter than pure copper wires, however when exposed to air and water, it has a higher tendency to oxidize and fail.  I had a batch of CCA wire on my outdoor speakers a few years back and when they stopped working what I found was when I took the wire nut off, the plastic sheathing was there, but the wire had completely deteriorated for about 4-6 inches up the wire.  I've read other posts with similar outcomes.

For pixel extension wires, I use 16/3 extension cords since I'm running some extensions 25ft from controller to display elements.  50ft HDX brands from HD for $13..hard to beat that price. For pixels, have stuck with the  male/female screw connectors from Holiday Coro.   The pins matchup and screw together better than the various 2 and 4 conduction couplers I have purchases over the lyears. 

For 16 outlet pixel controller boards, have been using larger enclosure made by Bud Industries, over the CG-1500.  Get them from Amazon for under $40..larger, straight sided, deeper and better sealing than CG boxes.  I like the extra room and not having to cram everything into a CG-1500. 

I am going to have to try this home depot 16/3 extension cords for 3 wire pixel extension cords. Never knew you could use that.

what gets me is most places charge more for bulk (full spool/box ) than you can get a couple of extension cord at walmart and cut the ends off

I found this site: where you can pick number of conductors (eg 4 for dumb RGB) or gauge

https://www.showmecables.com/by-category/bulk-wire-cable/portable-cord/soow

Looks good

40 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

what gets me is most places charge more for bulk (full spool/box ) than you can get a couple of extension cord at walmart and cut the ends off

I found this site: where you can pick number of conductors (eg 4 for dumb RGB) or gauge

https://www.showmecables.com/by-category/bulk-wire-cable/portable-cord/soow

Looks good

At  $0.97 per foot for 18 gauge wire, way too expensive. 

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

At  $0.97 per foot for 18 gauge wire, way too expensive. 

Per foot is the pricey way to buy.  Look at the ROLL prices

5 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Per foot is the pricey way to buy.  Look at the ROLL prices

I did, 250' of 18/4 is $202.

HLE still has 250' of 18/3 RGB wire for $45.

Edited by Mr. P

• The topic was locked