Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer says my CTB16PC gen 3 is not responding

31 minutes ago, Stacy R said:

It found comm3. If I refresh the middle top controller button, sometimes it finds the controller and sometimes it doesn’t. Very sporadic. 

I don’t believe it is a bad Ethernet port on the controller because it does the same thing on all three new controllers I just bought. 

Not sure how to reset the network preferences. 

I get the same error message on two different computers. I’m using a cat5 cable. I just bought a cat6 to try it. How do I know if my usb485 is bad?

For some reason my phone is not showing the other replies- I see user names and that’s it- all else blank so I’m not sure what’s been said but all are good people that give sound advice.

Have you upgraded the firmware?

Are all 3 controllers doing this? If so it’s either firmware. Jumper setings or bad 485 adapter.

I guess the only way to tell if the adapter is bad is to have another one to test. I have plenty extras since I use only HS adapters. I will gladly send you another one. Just shoot me a PM with address.

Are you going to the Expo?

JR

I have not upgraded the firmware. Started to but I wasn’t sure which firmware file I needed. Would I need to update the firmware for all three controllers?

Yes. All 3 controllers are doing this. And I get the same errors on two separate computers. 

I had no problems setting up my other controllers, last year. It was a piece of cake. 

What leads me to think it may be the usb485 is that when I hit refresh under unit to configure, it may say 0 units found. If I hit refresh again, it may say 1 unit found. It’s very sporadic. I may have to refresh it three times before it finds the unit. 

I am not able to go to the expo. love headaches in June over Christmas lights. I will send you a pm. I appreciate your help. 

2 minutes ago, Stacy R said:

I have not upgraded the firmware. Started to but I wasn’t sure which firmware file I needed. Would I need to update the firmware for all three controllers?

Yes. All 3 controllers are doing this. And I get the same errors on two separate computers. 

I had no problems setting up my other controllers, last year. It was a piece of cake. 

What leads me to think it may be the usb485 is that when I hit refresh under unit to configure, it may say 0 units found. If I hit refresh again, it may say 1 unit found. It’s very sporadic. I may have to refresh it three times before it finds the unit. 

I am not able to go to the expo. love headaches in June over Christmas lights. I will send you a pm. I appreciate your help. 

Here is the update page, scroll down until you get to the CTB16PC read the instructions and check the board because it will tell you if you can or cannot use the latest version. If yours is version 1 4.32 appears to be the latest. If v2 there is a disclaimer.

http://www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/

Was going to bring the adapter if you was going to attend. 

JR

2 hours ago, Stacy R said:

I had the basic plus but last week paid for the upgrade to standard. 

Paid!

But did you install the new key?

Basic Plus will go to Unit ID 04, so that should not be an issue on this problem - but great suggestion!

Stacy, open Sequence Editor and re-register for it to recognize the higher license (on the help menu).

The HU should still be able to “see” the controller in order to at least set/ change the unit ID, no matter what license level. Ie; if someone buys a used controller with unit ID 20  the HU will see it and the new user would be able to set to unit 1 or 2.

SE will not let you sequence outside your licensed number.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I tried to download the firmware and was not able to do so. It said It could not communicate with the controller. It said I needed to turn the controller on or check my connections. 

15 minutes ago, Stacy R said:

It tells me I am currently licensed for the standard edition. 

When you paid, you should have received shortly after with a new key to install (a user operation)

5 minutes ago, Stacy R said:

I tried to download the firmware and was not able to do so. It said It could not communicate with the controller. It said I needed to turn the controller on or check my connections. 

You will not be able to update the firmware till you can communicate reliably.

Also There should be only a single unit connected when updating FW

Is the jumper on JP3 on pins 5 and 6?

7 minutes ago, Stacy R said:

Only one unit is connected. The jumper is on pins 4 and 5. 

That is correct.   5+6 was reset, so I was just checking

Look in the RJ45 jack and make sure all the pins are at the same level and none are bent. 

I’ve used 4 different cat5 and cat6 cables and I’ve tried them on both of the jacks on all three new controllers. I get the same errors an all of the combinations I have tried. 

49 minutes ago, Stacy R said:

I’ve used 4 different cat5 and cat6 cables and I’ve tried them on both of the jacks on all three new controllers. I get the same errors an all of the combinations I have tried. 

Lets back up.  We may  getting confused.

STANDARD allows ID's 01 -08 for sequencing .  The HU should not care.STANDARD allows ID's 01 -08 for sequencing .  The HU should not care.

You have older units?  They work  in HU when attached to the SAME RS485 adapter?

IF Yes, that rules the cable and adapter good.  Don't change anything else, just put one of the NEW controllers in place of the old.  Now click REFRESH (in the top-middle of HU)

BTW what is the Max unit ID set to?  0F (looks for the first 16 ID's) should be fine for controllers running on a STANDARD license

43 minutes ago, Stacy R said:

These units are brand new. Straight from LOR. 

I think he’s referring to your original units.

Will send the adapter tomorrow hopefully that will fix it.

Di one thing though as mentioned above.

Open HU and the top right corner their will be a small box that says Max Unit ID. Ensure it is set to anything above 1-6 normally OF but since you only have 6 I would say just put 10. That way HU doesn’t have to search as hard for new unit IDs.

With that being said  it would still have nothing to do with the fact HU is not even finding your controllers and retiring out.

The next thing to do is change the adapter.

JR

I had lowered the number to I think 20. It finds the unit, sporadically, but when I go to change the id, it throws up an error and where it says 1 unit found, it says com3 error.