Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer says my CTB16PC gen 3 is not responding

I purchased 3 new CTB16PC. When I hook them up to my computer using the usb485, to set their ID as a new unit, I get an error telling me that the unit is not responding, to check to make sure it is powered on and that everything is connected. The green led light just flashes. If I daisy chain it off of one of my older units, it reacts as unit 1. I’ve never had this issue before. I have 3 new units and all 3 of them give me the same error. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Have you tried attaching as single units. Just one CTB16PC hooked to usb485. Set address, then repeat for other units. Then daisy chain together.

Could also be a bad ethernet cable?

Yes. I tried it as a single unit. I set it as a new unit (03). I get the error that it isn’t responding. I thought maybe I got the error but it still may have set the id, so I daisy chained it with one of my older units and the new unit did the exact light show as unit 1. 

I have also tried 3 different Ethernet cables. 

I will try that as soon as I get home.

I had tried setting up two of the three new controllers and they are both giving me the same error. I will try resetting them and see what happens. 

Might also try checking the firmware, if possible and updating it to the newest firmware for your controllers.  

But to me, if it's responding the same as unit 01, then that sounds like the unit ID # didn't take and it reverted back to the default unit ID # of 01.  

Make sure it's the only controller on the USB hub with nothing anywhere else connected. 

Try resetting the unit ID # again in the HWU, CLOSE the HWU completely, reload the HWU and refresh.  The controller should show up as ID #2, otherwise there is something amiss causing the controller not to update the ID and keep it locked in.   Not sure if that could a firmware issue or something else.

Do the above with each controller by itself.  Their new ID #'s should take and be locked in, if not, again, something is definitely amiss.

Good Luck.

Edited by Orville

If all three are the same, I am guessing a Comm problem.  You said that you were daisy changing off an existing controller.  Try a new one directly off the USB adapter.  Since you said you have tried different cables, maybe you have a bad port on that last controller.

I’ve tried them directly off the usb. This is where I get the error message. If I daisy chain, it works, but only as unit 1. I already have a unit 1. I need these to be units 3, 4, and 5. 

If I hit the refresh button in HU, it finds the controller but when I go to set the new id, that’s when I get the error. 

Not sure I am making sense. 

If the status light on the controller is blinking, it's a comm problem.  The controller is not seeing the heartbeat.

Comm problem is most commonly either a bad Cat-5 cable or a bad RJ-45 connector on a controller.

I just tried it again with another Cat-5. 

Setup Comm Port—-light o Rama device found on Comm3. 

Select unit to configure—Found 1 unit

01-16PC-G3Ver1.09

when I set the new unit id to 03 it says Unable to locate unit to change address.  Check connections and power.

when I go to change existing id and change it from 01 to 03, it says the serial port(comm3) assigned to LOR has a problem. You may need to select another port. 

This is my issue. 

When changing the Unit ID make sure only the one controller is connected then use the "Change Existing ID" and in the Old Unit ID drop down select "Any ID".  In the New Unit ID select "3". Then click Change Unit ID.

Only one controller is connected. Change existing ID in the old ID is set on Any Unit. New Unit ID is 03. When I click change u it id, I get an error stating The serial port (Comm3) assigned to LOR has a problem. You may need to select another port. 

Here is everything I would recommend to check:

1) Only have one LOR program open (HU) as only one program can access the comm port at a time, if SE is also open close it.

2) USB485

3) CAT 5 cable

4) check the pins in the RJ45 connector on the controller and ensure that the pins are straight and not pushed in.

I’ve checked all of that. HU recognizes the controller as 01. It just won’t let me change the id of it. Not sure what else it could be. It could be the usb485. I tried hooking it up to a different computer and have the same issues. Appreciate your help. 

Ive tried all USB ports and the usb485 driver is up to date. I’m wondering if it isn’t the usb485. I’m getting the same error on two different computers. The usb485 is only a year old. I’ve also used 4 different cat5 cables. In HU, when I hit refresh, sometimes it locates the controller and sometimes it doesn’t. When it does locate the controller, I then try to change the id. When I do, I get an error message and by the refresh button, instead of 1 controller found, it says comm3 error. 

46 minutes ago, Stacy R said:

Ive tried all USB ports and the usb485 driver is up to date. I’m wondering if it isn’t the usb485. I’m getting the same error on two different computers. The usb485 is only a year old. I’ve also used 4 different cat5 cables. In HU, when I hit refresh, sometimes it locates the controller and sometimes it doesn’t. When it does locate the controller, I then try to change the id. When I do, I get an error message and by the refresh button, instead of 1 controller found, it says comm3 error. 

Sounds to me you are chasing the comm port.

Do not refresh the comm port (upper left corner) at any time unless you add networks.

You only need to refresh the middle top controller button.

What comm port did your computer originally find?

Also you could have a bad Ethernet port on your controller. They are a little sensitive esp to cat 6 cable or cable with the guard .

You May also need to reset your network preferences once you find your controller in HU

JR

It found comm3. If I refresh the middle top controller button, sometimes it finds the controller and sometimes it doesn’t. Very sporadic. 

I don’t believe it is a bad Ethernet port on the controller because it does the same thing on all three new controllers I just bought. 

Not sure how to reset the network preferences. 

I get the same error message on two different computers. I’m using a cat5 cable. I just bought a cat6 to try it. How do I know if my usb485 is bad?