Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Editor Vs Superstar - What are the differences?

Orville

Similar. The LEDs around the outside are additional. May or may not be better.  It says RGBW, so it MIGHT have 4x12 W colour LEDs. Mine has one 60 W white  led, and colour filter gobos. Not sure which is brighter in practice. Don't be concerned about Aliexpress. My last shipment took 5 days. May take longer during Chinese new year.

20 hours ago, jtomason said:

So what I still don't understand is what the value of either of these are if you don't have a matrix or a lot of pixel-based elements that form a large "prop" (a number of firesticks, perhaps).  I have two candy canes and two arches, and don't understand what value - if any - either program would add to my sequencing efforts.   For what I have been doing (see the video below for a sample), SE has been enough.. Am I missing out on something?

https://vimeo.com/305806999/6b35606bf5

I think the only value to someone with just a few controllers or RGB pixels may find it useful for specialized ighting effects, like the LOR motion effects packs I believe require the PE to work.  I don't think they can be used in the SE.  And there are other effects you can do in the PE more easily that possibly can't be done in the SE, or if they can, might be a little harder to accomplish in the SE.  So that would be the only reason for someone like us with smaller RGB pixels to use it.

But eventually you may add more and more RGB pixels in your display, then you may need it, so I think it still best to learn how to use it, just in case one day you may actually need it for something in your display.

And a BIG THANKS to Don, now I can actually see it and try to learn more about it, I only have 5 RGB Controllers {CCB100D Version 1} and 500 RGB Lights presently, but do plan on adding more, and hopefully maybe one or two of LOR's singing Christmas Trees in the future.   So the sooner I learn how it works and use it, the better off I'll be for future expansion of more RGB lights in my display.

Edited by Orville
add spaces between a few words where needed, since they were merged together..

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 2:58 PM, PhilMassey said:

I'm sequencing about 3k pixels in SE, Tried Pixel Editor, not enough control, and Sequencer, can't yet edit base RGB channels, (although Matt is working on it) . I was going to work on Superstar this year but the cost and the changing playing field with S5 is leaving me where I am with S4 for the moment. Maybe forever, since I have little desire for matrices with tens of thousands of pixels.

So to answer you question, Not really.

Sample below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txn9tyff33xd0nm/2018 Imagine Dragons Thunder.mp4?dl=0

Are those just dumb RGB floods on your roof?

3 minutes ago, TheSignGuy said:

Are those just dumb RGB floods on your roof?

Yes. They are LOR 10W floods run off 2 CMB 16;s and  1 CMB 24 DC controllers.

Been thinking about doing the same thing next year, been looking all over the place for a sample. In your experience did they work well over a wider area of the roof or better for tighter area's?

Depends on the color of your roof to a large extent. They are pretty bright and light up a decent area, but there are 14 of them for a reason, to get good coverage, and to allow a decent resolution for chases. They are a bit brighter in person than in the video, and the colors are much better defined. Thought about pointing them out as "blinders" but decided to have mercy on the neighbours directly across the street.