Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 4.3.28 crashes after install

Trailrider

Uninstalled the old version and tried to install again, no luck.  Installed LOR 5 beta with no problems.  Uninstalled it and tried to install .30 again with no luck.  Installed the 4.3.018 with no problems, which is what I am using now.  Same problem on my Vaio laptop as on the Dell desktop.  Both are running Windows 10 64 bit. 

Show machine is Windows 7, but really don't want to mess with it unless I am sure it will load without problems. 

Sounds like one of my issues last year. My windows 10 computers (3 of them) would not play well with anything above 4.3.18 which is why I am stuck and happily running .18

All were the free Win10 upgrade.

Purchased a brand new top of the line Alienware laptop to run the show and never attempted to run anything but .18 on it.

IMO- don’t upgrade that win 7 machine. Once you do you are stuck with Win10, that was where I screwed up.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Denny:

Thanks!  Those messages tell me there is a permissions issue, probably not of your own making.  What is interesting is that you are at the point of installing Direct X, since I can see the direct X setup window.  This could be a big clue - MS may have changed the way it is uninstalling/reinstalling DirectX and flubbed it.  I don't remember touching anything in the installer for Direct X, but I will double check that on my end.  The fact that you are on the DirectX installer also tells me that the installer has nearly completed all it's functions.  The last 2 things it should be doing are installing Direct X, and then setting some registry values.  This is probably why doing a 'repair' installation is working.

-------

First, ensure you have done a COLD restart.  This is going to sound wrong, but trust me on this:  Press the Windows 10 start button, select the power icon, then select RESTART.  Don't select Shut down.  It is completely opposite of how it's on the start menu:  Restart is a COLD start, where Shut Down is a WARM restart - even if it looks like the power is OFF to the computer.

Try this procedure and let me know if it works or not:

1 - Go to the software download page and RIGHT click the link to download

2 - Select 'Save Link As'  (IE:  'Save Target As')

3 - You'll be asked to place the file on your computer.  Tell it to put it on your DESKTOP

4 - Allow the download to complete.

5 - Left click ONCE on the LOR-4.3.30.exe file that is now on your desktop somewhere (to highlight it).  Then right click.

6 - Select 'Run as Administrator'

7- Allow the install to finish (or hit that error again).

If you do hit that error again close up all those messages.

1 - Goto Add or Remove programs in Windows 10

2 - Select Light O Rama and hit uninstall

3 - You should get another box that pops up saying do you want to install, uninstall or repair.  Select REPAIR

4 - Allow that to finish (or get the error message)

1 hour ago, DevMike said:

Denny:

Thanks!  Those messages tell me there is a permissions issue, probably not of your own making.  What is interesting is that you are at the point of installing Direct X, since I can see the direct X setup window.  This could be a big clue - MS may have changed the way it is uninstalling/reinstalling DirectX and flubbed it.  I don't remember touching anything in the installer for Direct X, but I will double check that on my end.  The fact that you are on the DirectX installer also tells me that the installer has nearly completed all it's functions.  The last 2 things it should be doing are installing Direct X, and then setting some registry values.  This is probably why doing a 'repair' installation is working.

-------

First, ensure you have done a COLD restart.  This is going to sound wrong, but trust me on this:  Press the Windows 10 start button, select the power icon, then select RESTART.  Don't select Shut down.  It is completely opposite of how it's on the start menu:  Restart is a COLD start, where Shut Down is a WARM restart - even if it looks like the power is OFF to the computer.

Try this procedure and let me know if it works or not:

1 - Go to the software download page and RIGHT click the link to download

2 - Select 'Save Link As'  (IE:  'Save Target As')

3 - You'll be asked to place the file on your computer.  Tell it to put it on your DESKTOP

4 - Allow the download to complete.

5 - Left click ONCE on the LOR-4.3.30.exe file that is now on your desktop somewhere (to highlight it).  Then right click.

6 - Select 'Run as Administrator'

7- Allow the install to finish (or hit that error again).

If you do hit that error again close up all those messages.

1 - Goto Add or Remove programs in Windows 10

2 - Select Light O Rama and hit uninstall

3 - You should get another box that pops up saying do you want to install, uninstall or repair.  Select REPAIR

4 - Allow that to finish (or get the error message)

Mike, 

That worked when I did the "Repair" step.  I was able to open the Sequence Editor without problems after REPAIR.  Sequence Editor now shows version 4.30 and seems to work as normal.  Thanks a lot.

In case it helps though, these are the error messages I received BEFORE the "Repair" steps.

575281972_LORerror2.thumb.png.9cc1e81b2225fb446763fe8558d835e2.png

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Sounds like one of my issues last year. My windows 10 computers (3 of them) would not play well with anything above 4.3.18 which is why I am stuck and happily running .18

All were the free Win10 upgrade.

Purchased a brand new top of the line Alienware laptop to run the show and never attempted to run anything but .18 on it.

IMO- don’t upgrade that win 7 machine. Once you do you are stuck with Win10, that was where I screwed up.

JR

I don't plan on upgrading the Windows 7 machine.  I have other programs on their for editing movies, etc. that I don't know will work well on Windows 10.  Everything works well with Windows 7 on it, "If it's not broken, don't mess with it!"

I would follow DevMikes suggestion.  I am on the latest version of S4 (and am running W10 Pro).  The only issue I had run into was due to a pending MS update.  Once I let the update run and reboot I ran the latest LOR install with no issues.  Have NOT installed the latest S5 because there is no production release as of yet.

If anyone else is seeing this particular error, have some time to spend with me in a remote session during the day, and would like to help please let me know by opening a help desk ticket.  Don't follow any of my other instructions found here to try to fix the issue.  I need to see what it looks like when you get the error.

5 hours ago, DevMike said:

Denny:

What Anti Virus/Security suite are you using?

Mike,

Since this computer is not normally connected to the internet, there is only Windows Defender on it, no other anti virus program.

Thanks Denny.

Again, anyone else, if you are having the issue please let us know and don't try to fix it.  We need to see exactly what is happening at the time the error is occurring.  If you can get it to repeat, open a help desk ticket so we can do a remote session and gather more information.

• The topic was locked