Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 4.3.28 crashes after install

Trailrider

Anyone else having problems installing the latest upgrade 4.3.28? Tried to upgrade got all kinds of error messages. Uninstalled program, redownloaded file, reinstalled and still received error messages. Rolled back to previous ver. 4.3.26 and everything seems fine. May just be me but it's strange a previous version works fine.

Edited by Trailrider

I had a problem in that it would not finish installing.  Stopped and restarted install and selected repair.  Program installed completely after that.    Have not used it yet but all seems to be working -- program shows latest update as being active.

7 minutes ago, tomsusie said:

I had a problem in that it would not finish installing.  Stopped and restarted install and selected repair.  Program installed completely after that.    Have not used it yet but all seems to be working -- program shows latest update as being active.

did the same and all is working, I had a pending update holding everything up.  Thank you MicroSlouch.

Good thing I didn't update mine last night. I'm going to wait a couple days till everybody says it installed properly. Just to be on the safe side.

3 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Good thing I didn't update mine last night. I'm going to wait a couple days till everybody says it installed properly. Just to be on the safe side.

check and make sure you don't have a Microsoft update pending first, once that installed and my PC rebooted everything played nice.

I too had many issues with this install but I was able to eventually install it.  

1)  Avast claimed it was potential virus.   Would not allow me to mark as safe and claimed to send it for examination.  

2) Later file was deemed safe and install seemed to work BUT

3) When I attempted to load control panel the install started again but said it could not find MSI in a temp location.   This went on for a while while I tried to find the msi by searching and failed.

4) I did not DL install.exe again.   Instead I just ran the install again from its downloaded location and it worked.

5) Post did not recall my files folder and made me navigate to it.  

43 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

1)  Avast claimed it was potential virus.   Would not allow me to mark as safe and claimed to send it for examination. 

Remember, DevMike posted about this.

Just in case others may have missed his post.

Alan...

Edited by default

Does sound like there are 2 things going on here.

1 - is definitely that MS update.  I had several of them come through in the last few days including on our build machine and the installer test machine.  I like W10 a lot more than I ever liked W8, but this "update when WE say so" (MS) is starting to give us heartburn.

2 - The other is most likely the new code for Dynamic files.  AV programs can be jerks about false positives, which was one of the reasons why we have spent a few thousand dollars on digital signing certificates for our programs (find one of our EXE's and then right click on it.  Check the Digital Signature tab, and you'll see our certificate).  Having a certificate, issued by a trusted authority which ours is, is supposed to tell the AV program to back off a little bit.  They don't.

I did test the installer (we test ALL installers) and didn't have any issues - but I did have all the updates installed.  I think Windows Firewall did warn me about HWU wanting to go out on the net, and I just let it through.

If you do have an AV program that won't cooperate, please let us know what it is.  We will try to contact them, but in the end you will probably need to talk to them.  When we do we never hear from them or worse:  they want us to buy their product just to have access to their help desk and THEN they don't get back to us.

cert.jpg

Of course, with all that said, a 4.3.30 is already being built by me.  Apparently there is a bug in SuperStar that needs to be addressed.  Keep on eye out.

Just for reference, my install appeared to complete, but upon starting up SE reported that Users\appdata\local\temp\ verylongfilename..msi could not be found. Rebooted, same thing. 

Uninstalled, and ran the 4.3.18 Regwipe and reinstalled from the same download and the normal behavior resumed Lorpost ran and all seems good now.

W10 64 bit, No AV other than Win Defender.

4.3.30 installed on top of 4.3.28 with zero issues. Took 2 minutes,  everything seems to be working normally.

11 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

4.3.30 installed on top of 4.3.28 with zero issues. Took 2 minutes,  everything seems to be working normally.

ditto

Might this change in S4 have something to do with the installation problem I had on 2 different computers?  Installing 4.3.30 over 4.3.26 on Windows 7-64 pro,  I received an error that the program could not locate a resource file in a temp directory somehware.  (lightorama.msi I believe)  Sorry I didn't get any screen  captures.   The program got into some kind of loop so I had to task manager abort the process.   I then tried a re-install and selected a repair of the installation and everything seemed fine after that.   This same event happened on 2 different computers.

Edited by Brad Stucky
mistake in version number

i keep getting same error, have tried reloading and downloading and starting over three times now. Running WIN7 on hybrid drive Sonly Viao laptop.  trying to to new install of S4 V4.3.30

Went back to version 4.3.26 and was able to install on laptop.  No install errors and no issues.

Hello

also got the same error, did second try with repair option, now works on three  machines, even on a virtual machine on a mac.

strange behaviour though.

best regards

Dick de Wit

The Netherlands

I also have the same problem.  Tried updating two machines from 4.0.38 today and get the same error message.  Rolled back to 4.0.38.

Edited by Denny
spelling correction

it is looking more and more like Microsoft has changed the rules on us again.  We just don't know what the changes are yet or if we can even get around them.  We have not been able to duplicate the issue, which makes tracking it down much harder.   We will keep looking.

FYI:  I am reasonably sure this has nothing to do with the new dynamic files, but has something to do with how uninstall information is kept in the registry - something that Windows itself controls.  That's just speculation at the moment however.

It is possible that I did not create the installer correctly, but if that were the case I would expect us to be able to immediately duplicate the issue.

--------

If you are having an issue, please UNINSTALL your old version first, then install the new version.  Let us know if that helps or not.

If it still did not help, uninstall, then do a registry wipe and re-install.  Does that help?

If you do get the error, please take a screen shot of it for us.  It's hard to do any research without the exact error message and title.

I'd like to see what is happening for myself.  If you happen to get the error, and if you can/have the time, don't go any further and open a help desk ticket.  I'll set up a remote session so I can get a first hand look at what is happening.