Light-O-Rama Forums

Leaping Arch Extension Cords

Tim

I am about to construct 4 10' long arches that will have 7 channels. I am wondering what type of extension cords I should use. I live in Northwest Ohio and our winters can be COLD!! I want to make sure the cords I use will not become damaged due to the cold/elements. I know what the perfect answer would be....use an outdoor insulated 16 gague cord, but could I get away with something less? Just wondering. Thanks for your help.

Tim

Another "me too" in using SPT-1 with the lights wrapped over it.. I also cut the ends of the lights off and then splice them to the exposed end of the SPT-1.

That's what I thought. I didn't want to spend a whole lot on heavy duty cords that would be only 6 to 8' long. Thanks so much for all your help.

Dr. Jones,

I thought about doing that also but figured it would weaken the conduit. Have you noticed it being any weaker. I ran my lines down the pipe but have a few more to make.

I have not noticed any weakness. I am using 1 1/2" and i wrap the arches so the males are together, as to not to have to drill any more holes than are necessary

wrapped like this

F------MM------FF-------MM-------F ETC

I did mine like Brian's I went to the Dollar store and picked up some $1 extension cords. Looks pretty close to SPT1 wire. Plus it already had the end on it. Wrapped it under the wire and voila.
I wonder if I'll take my first arch apart and fix it. I did the Extension cords on the outside of the lights and I hate the look of it. Oh well maybe in 2009 when I don't have so much on my plate.

Evan