Light-O-Rama Forums

Keeping People Out Of Your Yard??

DisneyMatt10

Hey all,

I've got a question I'm looking at getting some help with. So, our neighborhood get's hit VERY hard with trick-or-treaters on Halloween. (Of course our bright flashing house sure helps draw them in!) That being said, the placement of our home on the inside corner lot means that kids are ALWAYS cutting across our yard instead of sticking to the sidewalk. . . Which has resulted in us only putting props on the house for the Halloween light show instead of having any of them out in the yard where they could pose a trip hazard. 

So my question is, does anyone have any advice, or feedback on how I might be able to deter kids from walking across the yard so I could still put out props in the yard, and not worry about them tripping over them , and/or causing any damage?? 

Thanks in advance!
~Matt

Don’t tread on me flags work well.

Seeiosly though, you could get one engineer stakes and put on corners and use some of that caution tape to encase it.

Just 3 strands bottom , middle and top should work. That’s what I did at my old nh when my home was in 

between properties

JR

I actually just put up a PVC fence border every year for Halloween and Christmas.  I actually hang my lights on them for Halloween and put like caution tape up as well but for Christmas my whole fence is lit up.

I cut up 10 ft pieces of 1" PVC into 7 foot lengths and use the other three feet as part of the support stake hammered into the grass then just put a 1-inch T on top of those and connect the pieces. It goes all the way around my yard to keep people from walking through I found the one inch PVC holds up the best. I have actually been using the same PVC since 2012. Each year we set it up in late September and don't take it down until the second week of January.

We are on a corner lot too so I just use 90 degree elbows at the corners. It serves its purpose and keeps people from walking through the yard.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

Perhaps sitting out there with a large shotgun would be a detterant?????

But Seriously, I had that issue at my last house, and I string ropes on stakes down the sides of the yard (being in the middle of the block, they only tried to short cut across instead of going out to the sidewalk/street - so i only needed to persuade them on the side).

Love the fence GriswoldStyle.  Great idea.

I have the same problem, however I decided to use it, make them walk in 1 way and out another, so they are walking through a path I planned out.  It made it kind of fun for me to plan and do, and for the trick-o-treat-ers. 

Maybe a combo of the Griswold fence and tape... but if done right they will probably want to walk the 'trail of death'.

I don't do much for Halloween as the house a couple houses down likes to do a big Haunted House out their garage that night.  I let him have Halloween and I take Christmas.  But a lighted fence may be the trick.  I have one at Christmas around mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxevrME41x0

I'm on the outside of a corner, so not a real problem of people trying to cut the corner.  For most of the portion of the sidewalk that is adjacent to the yard, there is a concrete block planter next to the sidewalk.  That completely blocks people from crossing there.

Valentines-1.jpg

For the eight feet to the left of the lefthand column, and alongside the driveway (drivers side of my truck), I put up a string of GE Color Effects lights that are supported on two foot pieces of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe that is slid over 1/2 inch rebar.

And yes, this photo was taken on Valentines day a few years ago.

When I decorated for Halloween (long ago) I really needed a fence as there were a lot of trip hazards.     Cut the 10 foot 3/4 PVC in to three 40 inch pieces.  Insert into holes in cheap 1x2x8 wood strip.   Held upright with rebar which slides inside the pvc.     Looking back at old pictures and videos of my haunting days is getting me all sappy.     

Graveyardb.jpg 

This is what needed protecting.   It worked well.   The many guests always stayed outside the fence. 

9 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Not sure if these will show up but here is a few photos showing my fence. They were on Instagram so I screenshot it from there

http://i65.tinypic.com/2niv9qr.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/2nlfdl1.jpg

2niv9qr.jpg

3485xjk.jpg

I am a fence contractor, no joke here, i just recently spoke with a man that wants me to build him a 3' tall 2 rail ,fence out of 2 inch PVC.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jerry72 said:

I am a fence contractor, no joke here, i just recently spoke with a man that wants me to build him a 3' tall 2 rail ,fence out of 2 inch PVC.

It definitely holds up I've been using the same PVC since 2012. Although I have gotten smarter and started using rebar to stake it into the ground. Then I just put a screw through the bottom of the PVC to put pressure on the rebar to hold it in place.

10 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

When I decorated for Halloween (long ago) I really needed a fence as there were a lot of trip hazards.     Cut the 10 foot 3/4 PVC in to three 40 inch pieces.  Insert into holes in cheap 1x2x8 wood strip.   Held upright with rebar which slides inside the pvc.     Looking back at old pictures and videos of my haunting days is getting me all sappy.     

Graveyardb.jpg 

This is what needed protecting.   It worked well.   The many guests always stayed outside the fence. 

Ok LOVE YOUR WORK!  I so am stealing some of these ideas.  I swear I didn't think of making my own grave stones, but I see you just used thick Styrofoam insulation.  Also, I really need to make those graves!   I take it that guy who comes up from the garbage is done in the same method?  I just need to find a piston? You have anything to share regarding that.

I am also going to make my graveyard the same way!

• 1 month later...

I put lights around the perimeter of my yard to discourage people from coming onto my property. However, last year I actually saw some little kids in my yard messing with some display pieces. I went outside and their parents were standing right there watching them. As soon they saw me they were like come on kids, as if I was terrible for coming outside. Keep in mind they were a good 20' onto my property and I didnt even say anything to them.

• 1 month later...

It's difficult to make out the chains on the left but you see them on the right side of the photo. It's white PVC with red duct tape in a spiral with a over-sized, plastic ornament glued to the top. Plastic red and white chains connected the posts.

http://nychristmaslights.com/images/2017/IMG_4912(Edited)-2.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WhitePlainsNY said:

It's difficult to make out the chains on the left but you see them on the right side of the photo. It's white PVC with red duct tape in a spiral with a over-sized, plastic ornament glued to the top. Plastic red and white chains connected the posts.

stealing that idea ?

Edited by OzAz
  • Like 1