Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Editor vs S5

Kyle Whitaker

I'm planning on adding a pixel tree for the first time into my display for 2018.  I started playing around with the Pixel Editor and I think I have the basics.  It is my understanding that in S5 it is even better.  Since it is still in Beta (and has been for a long time) I am reluctant to change my sequencing all over to S5 out of fear that I may have to revert back to S4 (and I assume loose everything).  Did anyone use S5 for their live display last Christmas?  Was it stable?  Does anyone have a guess if it will come out of beta by this Christmas?  Thoughts?  Commit now to S5 for this years display or wait?

My 2017 Show was all S4, but the day after I shut down Christmas and restarted the year round landscaping show, the computer running the show went to 5.0.16, and now 5.0.18.  Although my landscape sequences were all created in S4, sometime in the next few weeks I expect to migrate those sequences to S5.

For Christmas 2018, I am doing major changes to my show which will take a lot of effort, and converting to S5 will take a lot of effort, so I am committing to S5 in a hope to combine a little of the effort.

Yes, there are people who ran Christmas 2017 on S5.

Kyle,

See DevMikes last comment in this thread. It would be wise to back up all of your sequences that were done in S4, not because of any problems with S5, just a smart thing to do and this would give you good backups just in case.

Alan...

• Like 1

I have a pro version of s4

where do I download s5?

IF I back everything up off drive and then load S5 and I only mess with a cpl files will the remaining ones be safe if I need to revert on the laptop?

2 minutes ago, racerc20 said:

I have a pro version of s4

where do I download s5?

IF I back everything up off drive and then load S5 and I only mess with a cpl files will the remaining ones be safe if I need to revert on the laptop?

New software relesases (production or beta) are always announced in the Important Announcements section of the forum (the topmost section).  The most recent announcement is for 5.0.18 and is here:

If you back up everything and keep them off the computer that you install S5 on, they obviously will be unaffected in case you decide to go back to S4.  Note that because I have been quite active with the S5 beta, I have gone back and forth AT LEAST a dozen times on various computers.  No problem with sequences.

9 minutes ago, ed26105 said:

I think this is answered somewhere else, but can you keep both versions on the same computer?

For all practical purposes, the answer is no.  Obviously you can with separate computers.  I still have S4 on my show computer (powered off since January), but I have S5 on my server (what is running my landscaping show), and all three PCs that get used for sequencing and testing.  If you run virtual machines, you could also have separate installations on the virtual instances.  You MIGHT be able to play games in the registry to make multiple version live on the same computer, but that is not supported.

I used S5 for my 2017 show and had zero issues. If you keep backups of your S4 sequences you’ll always have them to fall back on. PE is S5 is much better than S4’s.

• The topic was locked