Light-O-Rama Forums

How many channels for leaping arches

chowell

I am thinking about adding 3 leaping arches to my yard. If I was using a 15ft section of PVC and making the arch a few feet tall, how many channels should I plan If I want some cool chases. Would 4 per section create enough effect or 5+?

With a 15ft arch, I would think about 9 to 11 channels each. 7 probably wouldn't look too bad.

I recently saw one with 4 arches about the same length as you mentioned with 5 channels each and it looked flawless until you looked hard. If your tight on channels, go 4 or 5, but if your not, go with 7-11 as Brian mentioned. Its really about how much extra you have and what you plan to do.

Build one arch with the number of channels you think will work and connect it to a controller and check the action. Odd channel numbers will give you one channel in the center of the arch.

What you might think will work might not look right. Better to demo one now than build all wrong and they do not look right in the display.

I am building two arches with 9 channels each, but with my limited channels I will be connecting the arch channels in parallel this year. This will limit the sequence options some but that's acceptable for this year. To make the paralleled arches look more convincing the channels will be reversed on the second arch.

Just some ideas

Dennis

Also, keep in mind that an odd number of channels works better. I think this was mentioned on another link. So 5,7, 9 works better than even number. that way you have a channel at the top of the arch.

hello friends 4 my arches im useing 10 foot rebar the height is 4 feet and the space is 52 in. How many chann i have 0n 1 arches is 5 chann 18in all around good luck my friends:D

hello friends 4 my arches im useing 10 foot rebar the height is 4 feet and the space is 52 in. How many chann i have 0n 1 arches is 5 chann 18in all around good luck my friends:D

• 2 weeks later...

I Built my arches this year on 10 Ft Irrigation PVC and used 7 channels, (100 Green LEDs per Channel). In the animation it looks great. I did a quick test before I put the arches away in storage and it looks pretty good. My neighbor whos a welder by trade is going to make me some brackets for pounding into the ground to mount the arches to.

-Evan